123 storage danger

dcycleman

Enlightened
Ok ive been reading the stuff in this forum for like 15 minutes and now I'm freaked out about lithium batteries, I was planning on storing two SF 12 packs of batteries in their original packaging inside a pelican case that is just about the right dimensions. is this dangerouse?? its a plasic case so it wont short anything and I'm keeping e'm in their cardboard boxes so they will stay upright. I guess If they did go it would just fry the plastic case.
Mabe i am answering my own question.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
That's fine, you could also just put them loose in the case if you'd like, there's no way to short any of the cells in that small of a space.

Store the case in your refrigerator to reduce self-discharge.

MorePower

Enlightened
Store the case in your refrigerator to reduce self-discharge.

There's no need to store CF123A cells in your fridge to reduce self-discharge. It's practically non-existent at room temperature. Storing in your fridge just takes up space you could be using for Guinness.:)

Archie Cruz

Banned
There's no need to store CF123A cells in your fridge to reduce self-discharge. It's practically non-existent at room temperature. Storing in your fridge just takes up space you could be using for Guinness.:)
Not to mention that the humidity resulting from condensation on the cold batteries is FAR riskier (combustion) than dry bats with a tiny bot of self-discharge

Illum

Flashaholic
gotta love 50 cal ammo cans...

there are a few field McGuyver'd approach for long term storage...

1. Ziploc packs of 24 cells, get a small bucket, lower the packs in.
Now fill the bucket with sand. :twothumbs
Verdict: tried it, on a summer day outdoors the bucket gets hotter than ambient even when covered:ohgeez:

3. Vacuum wrap cell packs use oversize bags, if theres a venting [peaceful, which by design may occur; or violent, which theres nothing you can do] you'll know immediately and, if peaceful...you've managed to isolate the gases
Verdict: tried this until the vacuum preserver retired...not one vent proved this was a optimum approach given the cost factor.

I once had it stored on a not-so-even shelf painstakingly mounted half way the height of a single pane window...if theres an incident all I need to do is shove it hard from the front and the whole assembly will go through the window...

two accidents, two new windows not once there was a vent during storage.:ohgeez: ~200 cells later I scrapped the homemade shelf and stored them the same way as normal people does. Its on the shelf in boxes.

sometimes paranoia makes us do really stupid things. Somethings may be plausible at the time be very idiotic in retrospect:poof: