35mm Aspherical Lens for 5A+ Driven XPG-2

caruolo

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

I'm entering the realm of modding my own flashlight, and plan to stick a 5A+ Driver in a Lumintop TD15 body.
I've bought 2x XM-L2, 2x MT-G2, and 2x XPG2 Led stars to do some personal tinkering and testing for best throw, with the LED of each model either domed or dedomed.

I also wanted to try and use an aspherical lens, and as such, need to purchase one. I'm looking for a high quality lens that will focus the beam from the LED as much as possible. Budget of 50$ for the one lens.

Needs to be 35mm in Diameter.

If you have any suggestions/what to try/warn me before I blow up my light, any and all help is appreciated, and you can either send me a PM or reply here!

Thanks for your time.

caruolo

Newly Enlightened
Thor Labs and Edmunds Optics both have very high quality lenses that will be < $50.00 for that size. Edmunds has the exact size you are looking for http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/optical-lenses/aspheric-lenses/aspheric-condenser-lenses/43988. Thor Labs closest size is 30mm.

You need the LED die to be at Back Focal Length from the flat surface (16.3mm for the Edmunds 35mm lens), not the listed focal length.

I'll probably go with the edmunds optic. Thanks for the recommendation!

Quick question though: Is there anyway I can maximize the output of the aspheric setup, in regards to the light that is being absorbed through the sides of the flashlight, normally diverted out the lens by the reflector? I know having a reflector and aspheric lens ruins the purpose of both, when they are combined, but I'd imagine there is alot of efficiency loss when it comes to not having a reflector.

Bucket

Newly Enlightened
I'll probably go with the edmunds optic. Thanks for the recommendation!

Quick question though: Is there anyway I can maximize the output of the aspheric setup, in regards to the light that is being absorbed through the sides of the flashlight, normally diverted out the lens by the reflector? I know having a reflector and aspheric lens ruins the purpose of both, when they are combined, but I'd imagine there is alot of efficiency loss when it comes to not having a reflector.

Some people think that a Waiven collar works well for that.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using a reflector to push more light into an aspheric won't get you any more light in the hotspot. Any light that enters the lens from the reflector isn't at the right angle to be focused. It will end up as spill. This might be desirable, might not.

Light emitted from the LED at a wide angle won't hit the lens. If you use a reflector to focus this light around the lens instead of into it, you could theoretically add it to the hotspot. I suspect most of the light that doesn't hit the lens directly could be used this way.

Thus it is at least in concept possible to take advantage of the best parts of both the aspheric and the reflector. The aspheric gathers light in a narrow angle and misses the wide stuff. A reflector gathers the wide stuff and misses the narrow.

It would be interesting to hear what some of the optics experts think of this. Undoubtedly someone has thought of and probably tried this before.

caruolo

Newly Enlightened
Using a reflector to push more light into an aspheric won't get you any more light in the hotspot. Any light that enters the lens from the reflector isn't at the right angle to be focused. It will end up as spill. This might be desirable, might not.

Light emitted from the LED at a wide angle won't hit the lens. If you use a reflector to focus this light around the lens instead of into it, you could theoretically add it to the hotspot. I suspect most of the light that doesn't hit the lens directly could be used this way.

Thus it is at least in concept possible to take advantage of the best parts of both the aspheric and the reflector. The aspheric gathers light in a narrow angle and misses the wide stuff. A reflector gathers the wide stuff and misses the narrow.

It would be interesting to hear what some of the optics experts think of this. Undoubtedly someone has thought of and probably tried this before.

That was another idea in the back of my mind, but what about a pre collimater in the form of a lens directly on the LED that focuses the beam to the diameter of the main aspheric lens?

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Is there any special reason for wanting to use an aspheric lens? Why not a TIR or a narrow focus reflector?

If you search Black Bullet X or Blue Star on Steroids here on CPF your going to find most of the answers to your questions. In short, a VERY large aspheric lens can project an amazingly tight beam of light. Your demonstration project looks great and I bet it was lots of fun.

Harold_B

Enlightened
It was fun. We are still using the optics in other applications. As for the aspheric lens question, I know why I used them in my designs and I could read the threads you suggest but I'm wondering why the OP wants to use one. The concern was the light lost within the system before reaching the plano surface (my understanding anyway) so I thought I'd ask.

caruolo

Newly Enlightened
Any updates on this project? As far as a pre-collimator or multi-lens system goes, they work just fine for capturing more light from the source. This is a three lens system we designed as a demonstration project for their optical silicone. http://www.dowcorning.com/content/publishedlit/11-3371A-01_Insert_D.pdf

Is there any special reason for wanting to use an aspheric lens? Why not a TIR or a narrow focus reflector?

In short, my reasoning is because of the spill almost all reflectors will have.
I've purchased the body of the light, and am working on sourcing the proper driver.

Harold_B

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. I really like the intense beam I get from the multi-lens system but then I like the 40 degree reflector we designed too. Anyway, if you don't my being a pest, what is it about the spill around the spot from a TIR or reflector that you don't like?

caruolo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. I really like the intense beam I get from the multi-lens system but then I like the 40 degree reflector we designed too. Anyway, if you don't my being a pest, what is it about the spill around the spot from a TIR or reflector that you don't like?

Don't worry, you aren't a pest by asking these questions, its actually helpful because I may end-up selling these, and any and all questions are helpful.

I want to make this a super focused spot/search light that can target specific areas without interfering with the surroundings.

Harold_B

Enlightened
Thanks again. Typically when I design a system I get the specifications and any other desired attributes like minimizing the spill but I rarely get to hear the reasons why. Much appreciated.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
In short, my reasoning is because of the spill almost all reflectors will have.
I've purchased the body of the light, and am working on sourcing the proper driver.

You might try the 5000mah V10 driver from Fast Tech. Thats one of several I purchased to drive my project. But max is 4.5v and I dont know your requirements.

caruolo

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to get a few made by richard @ MtnElectronics that fit my needs.

Update: I'll now be using a Trustfire X2 body instead of the 35mm lens body. 75-78mm aspheric, and ill be trying an XPG2 @ 5A and a XML2 @8A and see which has more output. Of course the RLT is included in this setup.

Quick question: What way do you measure the light/ the lux output? Is there an economic solution for somebody making and producing their own lights?