$45 2800 Lumen Ryobi HID Special-How Do I Tune It?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few months ago I spotted a big green Ryobi HID light at HD for a mere $45, I couldnt resist. I even bought the bigger 18 volt battery pack for it. The Ryobi is 2800 lumens model #P716. This thing is searingly bright and must throw nearly a mile. The problem is the beam profile is the nastiest Ive ever seen, to the point of being useless really. The profile looks like a giant super bright keyhole.

I brought this up in another thread awhile back and another CPF'er that seemed well versed in HID lights said the beam out of the Ryobi looked like that because the light needs to be "tuned". He mentioned breaking off a part of the bulb for some reason. He said that other adjustments can be made and make the beam usable. I have next to no experience with HID lights except this cheap Ryobi. I have no clue on how to tune an HID light for best profile.

If anybody could give me some ideas here it would be greatly appreciated!

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a ceramic tube surrounding the return wire, it's right along the outside of the tube. This can be broken off using a pair of needle nose pliers, just use caution as so to not break the wire inside. the tube breaks off fairly easily.
As for focusing the lamp, that's a little trickier.
if the bulb is to far inside the reflector, thin metal shims can be used to pull it further back into the desired focus. If the bulb is not far enough into the reflector, then more drastic means are required in order for the bulbs arc to be placed in the focal point. Machining may be required.