55w HID Homage to the Big Jim.

Leoht

Flashaholic from Mars
A few years ago I thought about doing a Big Jim style build, I had purchased most of the components but the project got shelved for some reason that I can not remember now.

So about a month ago I was in the shed looking at the Lightforce RM240 spotlight and HID kit that I had purchased two years earlier and thought I better do something about that, well this is what I came up with.
beva8azu.jpg

a9yza3e6.jpg

Inside it is pretty simple, a 12 volt Lithium battery from my KTM motorbike, 55W 4300K HID kit purchased on eBay, a mini relay donated by a friend, some nice little stainless push button latching switches and a large stainless steel cable gland, and a small red led clearance light also from eBay.
da9ase6a.jpg

azu4ebuh.jpg

My original plan had been to paint the ammo box but I like the look so for now it will stay as it is.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool !

When I was young (14ish) I built something similar, a small square 55w car driving light, a 4ah alarm battery, the handle off a toolbox, and the front casing of a broken power meter that fit the bits and pieces perfectly.

Seeing this reminded me of it, I will have to see if it's still at my parents house