Acebeam Terminator M2 EDC Torch Review

TimMc

Newly Enlightened
Acebeam kindly sent the green Acebeam M2 (Cool White) for review.

I asked for the cool white version (my bad). I was pretty happy with it until I did a side-by-side comparison with Darren Yeo's black Acebeam M2. The black version has three Nichia 519A 5000K emitters. The floodlight is much nicer which Nichia 519A in my opinion.

Here is my review:

Ocelot808

Enlightened
Thanks good thorough review. Would've been nice to know what emitters were used though. Darren didn't mention it either
Because Acebeam specifically did not mention the emitter information for the M2 except for the Nichia 519a triple model. They say nothing about the "spotlight LED" or the CW triple floodlight. They have contracts with Cree, Osram and Nichia and don't hesitate to name drop them when they are used in other models. So it remains a mystery, although the M2 is a low budget M1 so it's likely they're using cheapie Chinese sources for the M2. Also first attempt by Acebeam of employing auxiliary LEDs.

ro.ma.

Enlightened
Thank you for the excellent, truly comprehensive review.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because Acebeam specifically did not mention the emitter information for the M2 except for the Nichia 519a triple model. They say nothing about the "spotlight LED" or the CW triple floodlight. They have contracts with Cree, Osram and Nichia and don't hesitate to name drop them when they are used in other models. So it remains a mystery, although the M2 is a low budget M1 so it's likely they're using cheapie Chinese sources for the M2. Also first attempt by Acebeam of employing auxiliary LEDs.
Thanks. I figured they'd be known by looking at them. Didn't know this was a cheap version. Thought it was a new version 2

TimMc

Newly Enlightened
Here are more photos of the spotlight emitter to help with identifying.

My written review includes amateur test results from my DIY lumen tube for lumen measurements and runtimes, beam distance from a light metre, etc.

I took the product photos using a white box and an old Sony RX100M2.

Attachments

• 1000010214-01.jpeg
    1000010214-01.jpeg
    898.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 1000010213-01.jpeg
    1000010213-01.jpeg
    966.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 1000010212-01.jpeg
    1000010212-01.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 39

Ocelot808

Enlightened
Looks very much like a Yinding round die LED.

They seem the predominant supplier of the round die format as OEM for several Chinese manufacturers. Obviously lacking the name recognition of Nichia and Osram so it's best left unmentioned. Their best attribute is an artifact free clean conical beamshape with defined round hotspot. By virtue of the round die.

@vicv the M2 has an asking price half the M1, around $130 MSRP. There seemed to be a lot of complaints that the M1 was just too expensive (forgetting LEP ain't cheap) so it seems Acebeam responded with a scaled down more compact 18650 (M1 is 21700) version forsaking the LEP for a vastly cheaper spotlight LED instead. To scoop up all the folks that whined about the M1 price.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks very much like a Yinding round die LED.

They seem the predominant supplier of the round die format as OEM for several Chinese manufacturers. Obviously lacking the name recognition of Nichia and Osram so it's best left unmentioned. Their best attribute is an artifact free clean conical beamshape with defined round hotspot. By virtue of the round die.

@vicv the M2 has an asking price half the M1, around $130 MSRP. There seemed to be a lot of complaints that the M1 was just too expensive (forgetting LEP ain't cheap) so it seems Acebeam responded with a scaled down more compact 18650 (M1 is 21700) version forsaking the LEP for a vastly cheaper spotlight LED instead. To scoop up all the folks that whined about the M1 price.
Fair. Neither interest me but they do look neat. And solid review

Ocelot808

Enlightened
Tim did a great job. 👍

And now he's a YouTube superstar after appearing on Cheule's New Years 2023 Best Lights vidcast. Really enjoyed that!