Alternatives to both Fenix TK16 v2.0 & Streamlight Protac HL 5-X?

partytown

Newly Enlightened
I'm new here and I've searched the threads about these lights but looking for alternatives that I'm maybe overlooking. All suggestions and feedback welcomed!

Obviously these are for different applications

For this, I'm looking for somewhat of a utility light. Bump in the night and can also throw it in my pocket, car, etc... Fenix TK16 v2.0. I can get it shipped for $80. The 2 things it doesn't have that I'd prefer it to have are battery level indicator & usb charging without battery removal.

Besides that, this light checks a lot of boxes for me. Bright, compact, durable, inexpensive, like the bezel and tail switches and solid warranty (I feel Fenixlighting has a better warranty than Fenix-Store even though they should be the same)

I looked at the Nitecore P20iX which has the indicator and direct usb charging. However, it steps down fairly quick, is $20+ more currently (and that's during black friday time) and the quality and warranty seem to vary across the board. It seems it can hang in this area but doesn't really have any huge advantages over the Fenix minus the charging port (which some people hate) and the indicator. Also, how "true" are Nitecore's lumen ratings? All others I've found seems to lack lumen output, be too expensive (by comparison) or of questionable quality.

For $80, I'm having a hard time finding something that beats the TK16 v2.0. Any others I should be looking at?

Next up the Protac HL 5-X (Thanks to the person who did the very comprehensive review on here. The cons they listed don't personally bother me much.)

This I'd like if I wanted to light up a giant field, backyard, woods, etc...and still be able to have by my nightstand for outages, etc...Again, my preference is a direct USB charging light as well as an battery level indicator. As above, it's not a deal breaker. I can pick this up for about $90 with the two 18650 batteries. Again, for the price this checks a lot of boxes as well. I've looked at the Nitecore TM9K (about $115 during black Friday) and while it has 9,800 lumens, it steps down crazy fast. In addition, the beam distance even on turbo is only 268 meters vs. 452. That's a giant leap. Plus, as stated above, the warranty and quality don't seem as consistent as Fenix

My preference on both is to have a solid warranty/customer service with US based repairs rather than a cheaper light with little to no further support.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

On a side note, is there a reason why Streamlight and Olights websites are so terrible? They're some of the worst I've come across (and not just flashlight related). No ability to filter as to lumens, battery type, application, etc...

hsa

Enlightened
I don't know if you noticed but the hl-5x is more than twice as heavy as the Fenix and most of that is in the head. That's probably the reason for the side button. I like the mode spacing on the 5x and mostly use the 250 and 1000. On high it will light up large sections of open areas. I have had the 5x for about a year and find myself using it more and more but I don't own the other light so can't make comparisons. I have checked the lux and on my meter it is as advertised. This doesn't help much but it's all I got.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at the Nitecore MH12-S. You can find it 25% off for Black Friday now so it won't cost $90.

fuyume

Enlightened
I don't think the Nitecore iX floodlights can really be directly compared to regular flashlights, but they are very impressive for what they are.

That being said, you might want to consider waiting a bit for the (supposedly) upcoming Fenix TK28 TAC, which is essentially the PD36 TAC with a larger reflector assembly for better beam collimation. It was announced in the 2021 catalogue, but as of yet is still not shipping.