AN/TVS-3 project

nealitc

Newly Enlightened
That is a very large reflector indeed, the largest Parabolic mandrel we have is @24.82" CA. Are they Rhodium plated?

I believe rhodium over electroformed nickel. Some of the reflectors are pretty rough, did some research when I first got them and didn't find any currently manufactured part I could easily adapt. So we cleaned up as much as possible, and live with the loss.

But would love to replace a few of them with new very shiny reflectors, so if you have a line on where we might get a 30" do let me know!

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome seeing these lights. Three of them were used at the Las Vegas Jaycee State Fair in Fall 1974. Was intrigued by a non arc searchlight with such a narrow far reaching beam. Military man operating the unit let me at only age 12, play with the unit a little, aiming it a little back and forth and positioning the diffusion lens in and out of the beam. I wanted one of those. Now I just need more room. A 30 inch shallow telescope type reflector may be my next project for the 4,000 watt HMI at 385,000 lumen, such as I recently did with the 50 inch Monster.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just upgraded my shop with more metal reflector making machines. Hope to have my first small, (say 10 inches), reflector ready very soon. Eventually going for a 55" diameter reflector. Will be honored to help with restoration. Have room now in the shop to move around and get ready for an AN/TVS-3. Many ideas going though my head now. Shining these metal reflectors, metal plating etc., is something I've had some good recent results with. Stay tuned.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have made significant progress on making large reflectors.
Reflectors I've been making have now been upgraded to Aluminum. No orange peel look. Awesome..!

New big changes in how I make my reflectors, now in metal; and how much more significantly improved these Aluminum and steel reflectors are over my successful Fiberglass class of reflectors I've been working on for over half a dozen years on..!

These newly made Aluminum reflectors I've made, along with several others; and more on the way, are truly amazing..! The ease and precision that can be accomplished: quickly, silently, easily, artfully, and without odors or other issues with an incredible result. Still needs to be "dialed in", but the results are already better than the Fiberglass. No Orange Peal effect, that was actually a subtle defects in the Fiberglass surface, invisible until the reflective surface was applied. The metal doesn't have such an issue. Live and learn. This new personal "discovery of skills", will go across the board on all my searchlights. So far several: 7, 24, 26 and 30 inch reflectors are finished or about to be and several 36 inch Aluminum discs are on standby to be converted shortly. Several simultaneous tests on the different reflector designs will occur to determine the best route(s), to be taken at this time. EXCITING!
:D:D:D

Polishing is not feasible at this time, as it involves too much noise and not as good a reflective surface as this window glazing I used. I'll use the chrome tape with it's better reflectivity in future reflectors. NOW I HAVE A LIGHT METER AND CAN TAKE ACTUAL READINGS.

My upside reflections caused by the 'magnifying glass' effect of the two different style reflectors.

24878716421_0bd2cf6c23_b.jpg

Aluminum reflectors made from flat bottom water tank collection pan.

My upside reflections caused by the 'magnifying glass' effect of the two different style reflectors. One is a deep 200 degree capture design with more light reflectivity compared to the 130 degree capture with it's superior long distance light throw..

Click here to view the original image of 1024x773px.
24972057155_e2b8a3bd2d_b.jpg

These reflectors are so much more easier to make out of Aluminum discs than the Fiberglass process I've been using. I did a "quick" production routine to make these and others in progress at a larger diameter, I'm just amazed. The beams are much more culminated with a smaller diameter reflector needed for better, narrow beam effect. Will experiment with the different reflector designs.

Andrey

Newly Enlightened
Wow! Saw these lights at BM 2014. Just came across this thread.
Shine on!

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope to get an AN/TV3-3 searchlight soon. Work and a few other things has made it difficult to get one of these babies home. Trying to finish my "Baby Monster 36 inch diameter Searchlight to help make room in cramped shop. Progress shot.
The telescope reflector version of the 36 inch Gorilla is moving along. Not sure what to call it, Monster Jr., the New Gorilla, etc.

High powered stuff..!

More progress:

26725790955_a6692ae9c1_k.jpg

Searchlight reflecting sky to light

Nice view of the searchlight and cooling equipment.

385,000 lumen..!

Searchlight getting closer to completion. Cooling fans installed. My usual Home Depot $15.00 bath fans. To get twice the CFM capacity, most fan makers charge up to 10 X higher, so I just buy two.

Hopefully makes a nicer beam..!

Will keep things posted as I make progress.:)

b

b

b

Last edited:

nealitc

Newly Enlightened
I'm selling off 8 of the military TVS-3 units I purchased originally, these are pretty rough and don't include the Xenon lamp or electronics but would be a great chassis and reflector to convert with an HMI or other modern lamp.

I was originally planning to restore these or convert them, but I have 10 operating units and a minor amount of sanity is taking hold and we need the space!

Discounted price to good homes.

PM me for details.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you show us some more pictures? Maybe of a fully restored unit (housing, mirror, lampe cooling down etc..)? That would be very nice to see!

nealitc

Newly Enlightened
It's been a pandemic-minute and I'm rather delinquent in updates...
We now have a full web site for the TVS-3 project https://projectflashlight.org

And, in keeping 10 of the TVS-3s alive, we're looking for:
  • a machinist who can make coolant pump gears (milled from 1" 316L stock with obsolete involute gear and spline cutters)
  • a good source for "reasonably priced" custom radiators
  • a connection to IMax theaters to acquire expired (but not destroyed) Xenon lamps - we can adapt to the TVS-3 and get more life out of them

It's been a pandemic-minute and I'm rather delinquent in updates...
We now have a full web site for the TVS-3 project https://projectflashlight.org

And, in keeping 10 of the TVS-3s alive, we're looking for:
  • a machinist who can make coolant pump gears (milled from 1" 316L stock with obsolete involute gear and spline cutters)
  • a good source for "reasonably priced" custom radiators
  • a connection to IMax theaters to acquire expired (but not destroyed) Xenon lamps - we can adapt to the TVS-3 and get more life out of them
I would think an off-the-shelf water pump would be easier and cheaper, unless you're trying to restore them as close to original as possible. Do you have an estimate on the amount of heat you need to get rid of?

NITE LITE

Newly Enlightened
I would think an off-the-shelf water pump would be easier and cheaper, unless you're trying to restore them as close to original as possible. Do you have an estimate on the amount of heat you need to get rid of?
Maybe a chiller unit for spot welders might be a viable alternative.
My buddy just bought a chiller unit for about $480