Another Ultrafire C8 resurrection

andregrobler

Newly Enlightened
We are on a farm and the need for patrols and stuff at night peaked my interest in flashlights… or torches as we call them here…

So i have a C8+, ordered a manker mc12 for a bit more reach, and then the live in farmworker brought an ultrafire c8 from a secondhand store, which is rather beat up, but with a bit of cleaning and spring stretching works again…

Build quality of replaceable parts are rubbish, plastic reflector, tiny LED, off centred, set back behind reflector… and they knocked iff the ultra fire battery with a very light "ultro fite" 18650… that measures 1.2V… luckily…

So… should i just order a driver and LED that will be a little brighter, and maybe fit the 7mm reflector hole, and at the same time see what i can do for my c8+? Since i will be bringing stuff all the way from china… Or be sensible and put a spacer in so that the LED is actually in the reflector and be done with it…

If i order stuff from china, would it be considered bad form to buy convoy stuff for the ultrafire, 17mm pill, and what would one order for the c8+ - i think it has the sst40? Led and driver, won't need more throw on that one, or brightness really, and the colour is fine, is there anything else that can be improved? It just has the 0.1 10 30 100% mode, which is fine by me… i will use my C8 as a normal walkabout torch…

If not just buy the 2+ usd 1amp one here that wont melt the reflector?

Attachments

• F44A8902-22EE-4A81-8561-F22CCB3B0B1B.jpeg
    F44A8902-22EE-4A81-8561-F22CCB3B0B1B.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 74
  • CB8C7E7B-0DB5-4ED8-B578-76F8C034EA6E.jpeg
    CB8C7E7B-0DB5-4ED8-B578-76F8C034EA6E.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 73

andregrobler

Newly Enlightened
We are on a farm and the need for patrols and stuff at night peaked my interest in flashlights… or torches as we call them here…

So i have a C8+, ordered a manker mc12 for a bit more reach, and then the live in farmworker brought an ultrafire c8 from a secondhand store, which is rather beat up, but with a bit of cleaning and spring stretching works again…

Build quality of replaceable parts are rubbish, plastic reflector, tiny LED, off centred, set back behind reflector… and they knocked iff the ultra fire battery with a very light "ultro fite" 18650… that measures 1.2V… luckily…

So… should i just order a driver and LED that will be a little brighter, and maybe fit the 7mm reflector hole, and at the same time see what i can do for my c8+? Since i will be bringing stuff all the way from china… Or be sensible and put a spacer in so that the LED is actually in the reflector and be done with it…

If i order stuff from china, would it be considered bad form to buy convoy stuff for the ultrafire, 17mm pill, and what would one order for the c8+ - i think it has the sst40? Led and driver, won't need more throw on that one, or brightness really, and the colour is fine, is there anything else that can be improved? It just has the 0.1 10 30 100% mode, which is fine by me… i will use my C8 as a normal walkabout torch…

If not just buy the 2+ usd 1amp one here that wont melt the reflector?

Oh wait those are 3A drivers… smallest, that would probably be too hot, i think i spotted a 1A driver somewhere… what emitter should i add to that?

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
and they knocked iff the ultra fire battery with a very light "ultro fite" 18650… that measures 1.2V… luckily…
What? Unless you meant "luckily I checked the SoC before I put it in a charger and burned down the farm," leave that cell in the battery drop at Home Depot and back away quickly. Definitely do not put that in a charger.