any camera audio processing/filtering experts ? camera noises

Flashlight Enthusiast
there are just too many amateur videos out there, recording sports event,s or
other stuff, and the 'handling noise' is incredibly irritating if not post-processed away.

a lot of gopro cameras or other cameras pick up the sound of the device
being handled when actively held by amateurs (clicks, clacks, scuffles)

I was wondering if this exists, or what it might take to implement this:

can a chip be designed, or does a camera have this technology today,
to automatically filter all that noise out, so the camera records external sound events only,
and not the ones that happen to the camera body itself ? I know an external mic
would be ideal, but this is regarding the built-in camera mic. also, 'in the camera itself',
to reduce or eliminate post-processing or filtering entirely.

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
The best option is to mike your subject or use a shotgun mike. Sony has a feature on some of the cams to focus the audio and deminish camera and noise near camera. Works pretty good but impinges on Dolby 5.1 audio quality. We use it a lot and it works good. You can also edit the sound track in garage band then re-apply to your video.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I agree with ScottyHazzard. Get the mic away from the camera entirely. In-camera mics fall into the 'better than nothing' category and to my knowledge there are no DSP chips that are designed to negate handling noise in real time.

Even a shock-mounted shotgun mic that's affixed to the camera will be better than the mic that's built-in.

Another thought - use a cheapie camera stabilizer mount like this one. This will keep your hands far away from the built-in mic and has the added benefit of reducing picture shake. I have one of these and it helps. It also makes handling the camera much less awkward.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the external mic. One idea I have to help with the handling noises is to have a second mic internal to the camera but without an external port. The noise picked up by handling the camera would be received by both mics (the internal one receiving the sound by conducting through the case). This sound can be inverted and electrically subtracted from the other mic and would eliminate the handling noises. How this would actually work, I can't say.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
This sound can be inverted and electrically subtracted from the other mic and would eliminate the handling noises. How this would actually work, I can't say.

This could be done using Audacity or any similar audio editing suite. You can easily phase-invert one track, them sum them together to get cancellation. It won't be perfect but it will be an improvement.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
This could be done using Audacity or any similar audio editing suite. You can easily phase-invert one track, them sum them together to get cancellation. It won't be perfect but it will be an improvement.

That's kind of what I mean, but one mic would be internal (no outside port) to receive only sounds through the camera's structure. Differentiation would remove the handling noises as they are common to both mics and pass the normal audio. Doing this with a camera that has ordinary stereo mics will result in a very thin sounding audio.