Any DIY star field fiber optic illuminators?

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
I want to build a couple fiber optic fields in a pair of bass traps for my home theater for now then make a star field ceiling later.

I have soem Luxeon's and I also have a couple Metal halide lamps and ballasts from an old Marine aquarium if need be but I would like to keep it solid state and cool running.

the Color wheel and twinkler is not a reqirement.

Most commercial illumitators seem to be over $250..

I have the fiber optic cable and it cost me less than $30 to make the 2 4X8 panels.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
>I want to build a couple fiber optic fields in a pair of bass traps

What's a Bass trap look like?

>for my home theater for now then make a star field ceiling later.

Are you going for randum spots of light, or are you going to recreate actual star fields?

>I have some Luxeon's and I also have a couple Metal halide
>lamps and ballasts from an old Marine aquarium if need be
>but I would like to keep it solid state and cool running.

Are you using these as light sources to feed fiber optic lines to project multiple spots of light? Or do these snake around in the walls so you are looking at the ends of the fibers? How cool did you have in mind for cool running? The Luxeons will need heat sinks.

>I have the fiber optic cable and it cost me less than $30
>to make the 2 4X8 panels.

Got pics?

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
b
Ken_McE said:
>
What's a Bass trap look like?

Like a black 2X4 and 4X8 panel cover with speaker cloth.

Are you going for randum spots of light, or are you going to recreate actual star fields?

it will be actual constelations in roughly a true star scape.

Are you using these as light sources to feed fiber optic lines to project multiple spots of light? Or do these snake around in the walls so you are looking at the ends of the fibers?

The bundle of fiber will not show through but each fiber will just peak throught the speaker cloth and have tiny varing size points of light they are not for illumination just ambiance.

How cool did you have in mind for cool running? The Luxeons will need heat sinks.

As in not 1300 degrees and cooling fans required kind of cool that the metal halide would need...

b
Got pics?

how bout here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7356600456&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7552839034&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

and there are some star scapes in the bottom of the auctions, look at the one for the home theater for some inspiration.

Latest posts