Any meaningful changes in flashlights in the last 5 years?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP oh HECK YES there have been many advancements in every aspect of high output LED lights. That being said there is ONE issue that has yet to catch up to the new generations of lights that are the most capable I have ever seen in my 22 years of collecting now. That is battery tech. Battery tech among lithium ion cells is actually BEHIND all these new super lights.

Over two years ago Sal, the owner of Orbtronic, told me that Panasonic was coming out with a 4000mah 18650. They did and unfortunately ALL OF THEM were bought by computer companies and even Tesla. Then Tesla decided to go 26650's that have cutting edge capacity thus Tesla bought all of those TOO!

For our LED lights we are just going to have to wait until actual cutting edge lithium ion cells to CATCH UP technologically to be able to power these new generations of high output lights capable of things that just 5 years ago most thought was either impossible or was going to take another decade to develop.

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
One HUGE improvement in the last five years is tint. High CRI lights have not only become more common in the last five years. But brightness has improved considerably. With newer emitters like the Nichia 219C and high CRI versions of the XHP series emitters, high CRI lights have evolved from the uselessly dim lights of yesteryear into lights which make nasty cool white lights downright pointless.

Of course, even non high CRI emitters have gotten better. While older emitters might give you 65-70 CRI, 80 CRI is pretty much the norm these days from your basic neutral white emitter. Also, fewer and fewer companies are insisting on selling cool white only. It seems that both the industry and users are finally starting to see the value of a decent tint. Of course, it helps that getting that better tint no longer carries the lumen penalty it once did.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP something ELSE that is actually NEW for flashlights! EagTac lights with built in diffusers. I have two of them. They are AMAZING. You can turn on the main LED and/or the also full of LEDS diffuser. Even with the diffuser OFF the main LED lights the diffuser enough for excellent area lighting. With ALL LEDS ON AT ONCE at the highest setting they put out a combined total over 1300 lumens! Check em out!

justanotherguy

Enlightened
OP oh HECK YES there have been many advancements in every aspect of high output LED lights. That being said there is ONE issue that has yet to catch up to the new generations of lights that are the most capable I have ever seen in my 22 years of collecting now. That is battery tech. Battery tech among lithium ion cells is actually BEHIND all these new super lights.

Over two years ago Sal, the owner of Orbtronic, told me that Panasonic was coming out with a 4000mah 18650. They did and unfortunately ALL OF THEM were bought by computer companies and even Tesla. Then Tesla decided to go 26650's that have cutting edge capacity thus Tesla bought all of those TOO!

For our LED lights we are just going to have to wait until actual cutting edge lithium ion cells to CATCH UP technologically to be able to power these new generations of high output lights capable of things that just 5 years ago most thought was either impossible or was going to take another decade to develop.

Thought Tesla went with 21700