Any recommendations for quality binoculars?

yeoldoak

Newly Enlightened
The 7x50 was a good chunk of my wage back then, but I got
the 8x30 for very reasonable price used, have subsequently seen
Steiner M22s for not bad prices.

OldGreyDog

Newly Enlightened
I have two pairs, more recent KOWA 8x25 that are with me in my pack for river and estuary walks. Compact, waterproof and good optics.
The others are about fifty years old, Carl Zeiss, East German 10x50. These are genuine originals, made in East Germany. Superb optics, not waterproof, and rather heavy, but they are excellent for watching wildlife in the garden, or any other fixed location that does not involve carrying them for a long time.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I have two pairs…The others are about fifty years old, Carl Zeiss, East German 10x50. These are genuine originals, made in East Germany. Superb optics…
I've got a few higher end binoculars, mostly Leica, but still really enjoy using my old Leitz models. Nice light balance, and one of them proved to be such a classic that they even released an updated version that has proved to be a stellar selling binocular, the 7x35.

Bob A

Newly Enlightened
I'm a fan of the old Leitz binos myself. I have 10x40, 8x32 and 6x24 Trinovids, all old style Leitz glass, and a Leica Ultravid 8x20.

The 6x24 get used a lot indoors, for stage events, because of the incredible fiold of view, and the fact that I'm usually in the rarefied atmosphere of the cheap seats. (I had a pair of their 10x22, but I gave them to a friend because I couldn't hold them steady enough. 8x is my limit).

FWIW, I also have a pair of 5x British plane spotting binos, from WWII, which are fixed-focus, with the military broad arrow ID and all. Odd but interesting, and OK for a quick look at something not far away. And a Zeiss 8x20 folding monocular, great for covert viewing; when it's unfolded you can hold it in a closed fist and no one has any idea what you're doing. Not as useful as you might think, but still one of those odd things that bring so much delight (to odd people who are charmed by odd things).

Last edited:

cyberhobo

Enlightened
My favorite bino under $100 is the Leupold BX-1 Rogue. Small, lightweight, quality optics with decent low light capabilities. Great for one hand use.