ARC LS - Value?

obsessiv3

Newly Enlightened
Hello

I'm new to this version of the forum, but was a very active member in the early days when the original forum started. This was right when white LED's were coming out and even at a five lumen rating were very expensive. Not to mention that they were bluish-green and didn't last long.

When the Luxeon LED's started coming out, I purchased an ARC LS with the two AA and the 123A body to replace a Surefire I had at the time that I used for work. I also had an ARC AAA in grey HA, but it's long gone...

I thought I lost this flashlight at some point, then my 8 year old son dropped a small watch battery down beside the cushion of an overstuffed chair of ours. Hunting for it, I felt the LS and knew right away what it was. I had since threw away the 123A holder, but the AA body was there. Batteries were bad, but didn't explode (luckily) - I presume the thing was stuck there for two to three years.

Anyway - I replaced the batteries and it's good to go. The light is bright, centered, and has a very slight bluish tint to it.

I'm curious what this thing is worth (other than the 'what someone is willing to pay for it'). I've seen some wild prices on eBay for their 'tactical' model, but not this one. It is a first run #503 (not sure if they did a second run - I'm guessing they did) and is in excellent shape. The only 'issue' is that the foam anti-rattle gasket has been compressed some, but is still there and not torn or disintegrated.

Can someone help?

E

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello, and welcome back :wave:

A search of auction sites, and the (now closed) CPF MarketPlace will give you some idea of values for vintage torches.

FYI, "price fishing" threads are not encouraged in the discussion forums ;)

Last edited:

obsessiv3

Newly Enlightened

A search of auction sites, and the (now closed) CPF MarketPlace will give you some idea of values for vintage torches.

No worries - previous username was Lightspeed.

Not sure where to put it, so I placed it here figuring someone would be able to help.

I'll post it on the good ol' auction site and see what it can grab.

Thanks!

E

nbp

Flashaholic
If you want to update it, member datiLED had some pills made to put triples in First Run LSs. He did two for me and they are sweeeeet. Super bright!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'll be on the lookout for that one.

No idea what it's worth either, but I'll toss my hat in the ring for nostalgia purposes.

PK once told me (iirc) Peter Gransee was a sorta mentor to him way back when.... like Peter was the Don Keller of LED lights or something.

Edit:
While there to see if it was up yet I was able to score a swag item

Last edited:

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

CPF MarketPlace is closed? Why? What happened? Got a link to a thread explaining maybe? Sorry been away for a long time myself and just came back to reminisce and saw an Arc LS thread. :p

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
No worries - previous username was Lightspeed.

Not sure where to put it, so I placed it here figuring someone would be able to help.

I'll post it on the good ol' auction site and see what it can grab.

Thanks!

E

Hey Lightspeed sounds familiar. :) Please PM me if you figure out what any of these are worth. :p I have a few sitting around. :D Also is it a single AA twisty, double twisty or double with clicky? :p

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to update it, member datiLED had some pills made to put triples in First Run LSs. He did two for me and they are sweeeeet. Super bright!

Know how much the the pill is and what LEDs he's using? What's the voltage range?

Lastly is there a better clicky switch for the tailswitch now? The rubber on mine is sorta shredded/melted.

nbp

Flashaholic
I'm not sure what the price of the light engines are altogether since he has to do some lathe work on the head itself also and use a custom pill to make it work on the First Run lights. Thus the reason his previous light engines aren't compatible. Mine were sort of guinea pigs so I don't know if the price is representative of what he would charge others. You'll have to message him. I got mine with Nichia 219B and they operate on 16340.