ARGH. Can't decide!!! Looking for EDC....

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want a single cell light that has good throw, 3 levels and of decent quality..... Having a hard time deciding on CR123 or AA based. It will be an all around use EDC light. Lets hear your suggestions! I want to order one Thursday... Thanks.

Jabberwocke

Newly Enlightened
I have a Sunwayman M11R. Three light levels from a CR123 that is my EDC. Low is a walking around house in the dark level, medium is what I use the most outside in the mornings before dawn, and hi is too bright. Good quality, fit, finish. Only drawback is price, but you generally pay for good merchandise.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never really looked at Sunwayman. What would the quality compare to? Light looks nice though...M10A looks nice too...

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
For EDC and general purpose use, I happen to prefer good low lumen modes with long runtimes in a floody light. I find I NEED to see/do thing up close while distance stuff is mostly optional. I highly favor AA lights for the unlimited back-up potential and typically run 14500 and NiMh rechargeables in my lights.

I really like the idea of the infinitely variable lights, but they have an electrical overhead drain that kills the low lumen runtimes too much for my tastes.

My two favorite EDC lights are the FourSeven Quark running on 1x14500 and the Eagletac D25A Clicky Ti running on a NiMh.... both are 150+hr XML moonlight mode lights.

awyeah

Enlightened
I'm carrying a Fenix E15 on my keychain. Not much bigger than the single CR123A inside it. Very bright, throws far enough, and ... well for $30, it's hard to beat.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Be sure to check out the Zebralight models, especially the SC31 and SC51. The UI takes a bit of practice, but soon you'll love it. With the sublevels you're sure to find three that are just right. Price could be a bit lower, but the quality is high.

Geoff

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have the best of both worlds. Like others have posted, Sunwayman V11R with AA extender or the Quark with both the AA and 123 battery tubes. Then you can see for yourself which size and output are best for you. Either one is a winner. I favor the Sunwayman.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want a single cell light that has good throw, 3 levels and of decent quality..... Having a hard time deciding on CR123 or AA based. It will be an all around use EDC light. Lets hear your suggestions! I want to order one Thursday... Thanks.

Your best bet is to get a light that can run both RCR123's, and 14500's

Suggestions? The V11R or the M11R, just get the extension so you can run 14500's and AA's should the need arise.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of guys here in the forum go old-skul and run with Quark's with 14500's.

Come on, I just know you do! hehehe :)

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also the SC80
Be sure to check out the Zebralight models, especially the SC31 and SC51. The UI takes a bit of practice, but soon you'll love it. With the sublevels you're sure to find three that are just right. Price could be a bit lower, but the quality is high.

Geoff

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
Even though it is essentially an 18650 set up, this is a brilliant EDC. I recently put together: A Surefire 6P (bored for 18650 and on special at O/R), with the new Nichia 219 Hi-CRI. in a potted drop-in with L, M, H and memory from Dave at Nailbender. The tint is the best I've seen and the out-put a very respectable 220+ Lu. A Malkoff / McClicky tail switch and a little under Au.$100.00 incl. shipping.

The 18650 cell may not be your preferred option but I can highly recommend this light as an EDC: It's a very solid performer and the 4500K tint will blow you away! And it really is superb with all color rendering incl. something I've never really noticed before and that is black print on a variety colors - simply astounding the clarity with the Nichia 219.

Good Luck. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

arkan

Newly Enlightened
I went with Sunwayman v11r:
- Rear clicky
- CR123 or AA (with extender)
- Variable control - so i don't have to keep switching and going though different modes
- XM-L
- Good quality

Up All Night

Enlightened
Can't go wrong with the Quark AA on a 14500. XP-G provides decent throw and very useable spill, I neck carry it every day. Better run-time than my V11R, although not as bright. No slouch though, as bright as the Jetbeam BC-10 rated at 260ish otf! Mine is the regular UI with reverse clicky(you get used to it).
Please note: regular AA's only gets you 109 lumens otf.

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
I went with a Jetbeam RRT-0 for my EDC and backup light. It will take RCR123 rechargeable cells or AA cells using the optional extension. I got the belt sheath and the pocket clip so I can have a couple options in carrying it. I like the variable levels using the rotating ring to adjust and the rear switch to turn on and off the light.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Obsessed

Newly Enlightened
I'll chime in and say I'd go with a Sunwayman, but I wouldn't go with a V11R, I'd go with a V10R. The V10R is tried and true, and the V11R has a lot of quality issues, as do most of their current lights. I'm not sure why, but when they started putting the U2 in their lights (coincidence of timing, I'm sure it's not the U2's fault.), their quality dropped into the tank. People regularly complain of inconsistent ring feel, low voltage lights not working properly, flicker, etc etc etc. I have a V20A, an M20A, both work Perfect, and I've had not just one, but TWO V11Rs fail me. The first one the ring was so loose it spun around freely, the second one was a bit better (still had inconsistent dampening), but then a month into having it it just up and died, with no warning.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the Jetbeam RRT-0. I EDC this light, and dropped it several times on concrete mostly from 3 feet high, and 8 feet high. Never had a failure in the 3 years I have carried it.
I went with a Jetbeam RRT-0 for my EDC and backup light. It will take RCR123 rechargeable cells or AA cells using the optional extension. I got the belt sheath and the pocket clip so I can have a couple options in carrying it. I like the variable levels using the rotating ring to adjust and the rear switch to turn on and off the light.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2