Battery Power Problem [Leadlight 105]

mr.pointer

Newly Enlightened
So I just recieved and pot-tweaked my Leadlight 105 model and my battery power has completely gone down the drain. I may get lucky if I can use it for about 4 or 5 days @ 5 minutes MAX each day. My first experiment was with a pair of Rayovac AAA batteries, then I moved up to NiMH 1000mAh power batteries. The NiMH batteries haven't lasted any longer than the alkelines.

I'm assuming it's because I have the pot turned all the way up, but I could not get it to stay at any power above the stock power without turning it up all the way. If I tried 3/4 or even 1/2 way between stock and the maximum, it would dim to a dot less powerful than a lightning bug, so I really haven't got a choice if I want it brighter than stock. I'm just baffled that the batteries have drained so quickly. Can anyone tell me what I might could change [without going back to stock power]?

Aseras

Enlightened
turn it till it's just starting to flicker or get dim then back off 1/8th of a turn until it's full strength again. that's where you want the pot.

mr.pointer

Newly Enlightened
Aseras said:
turn it till it's just starting to flicker or get dim then back off 1/8th of a turn until it's full strength again. that's where you want the pot.

That's where I have it, actually :/

Aseras

Enlightened
well only other problem could be that you shorted the pot or the pcb to the casing somewhere. try taking out the batteries.

Kenom

Enlightened
I did a short straight across the pot to the casing on my leadlight and it's been working fine on cr123 batteries. I also put my laserhead inside of a nerf gun so it's kind of totally not the same anymore. I get a pretty solid beam on it ranging from 55mw to 30mw. However I do also go through batteries pretty quickly on this as I use it for about 20 minutes every day. I change the battery once a day. sometimes 2 batteries a day. depending on usage. What your describing does not sound normal as it should be brighter fully potted than a lightning bug.
Sounds like to me you've burned out the laser diode itself and there's really no way to test it to see.
Do you get any output that is above stock output?