Beam width

zugge

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone.

I'm new to all of the aspects of flaslights and have been investigating a little during the last couple of days.

I have been looking into the brightest of the brightest and the longest throws.

I understand the measurements of lumens and candela.

What is confusing me is the lack of beam profile, it is clear that a lep like acebeam w10 will have a narrow Hotspot and little to no spill but how narrow will that beam be as a function of distance?

With its 3,1° reflector i assume basic trigonometry can be used but im not sure.

And for olight warrior x turbo which is a 1km thrower at 1100 lumens, how will that beam profile be at x meters?

What about tactical flashlight like Fenix TK22UE.

I'm looking for a dense beam, yet not so dense it would be scrap for close range applications and I have a desire to not buy several flashlights to find the proper one.

Budget 500-600 Usd

parang

Newly Enlightened
I suggest simply watching a bunch of YT reviews by Flashacolic (who is also a member here) and by others too, to get a sense of beam profiles at various distances.
With your budget you should have no problem finding something good. Let us know how you go.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff hound dog super is currently in stock again on their website. 2x 18650 and will give you actual continuous 1600 lumen for 1 hour, which is better then a turbo mode that lasts for seconds or a few minutes, like on the two examples you listed. In the future Gene might add a 2x 21700 body which will maker it even better.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
A flashlight suitable for all scenarios does not exist.
You can buy one that could adapt to various situations but will not excel in any of them.
Your budget is good, you can buy two or three lights, maybe one of them could be a headlamp for close range, then a flashlight with "medium" characteristics (TK22 - PD36 or other) and lastly a thrower

Reactions: hsa

3_gun

Enlightened
First question you gota ask is how far do you need to see & then how far can you see. I'm good to go what a broad even beam that works out to 50yds. I don't care how tight the beam is I'm not seeing much more than shapes & colors at 200yds w/o optics. Convoy S2+ makes a OK at both but not great at either, that will not break the bank or even a $100 bill

zugge

Newly Enlightened
I have currently placed an order for fenix TK22UE and acebeam L19.

I'm excited to see how they perform.

For the acebeam I have the green led for higher outputs, im not comfortable that the green option was right but I'm very excited to check it out.

Thanksq

fuyume

Enlightened
In Fenix terms, the TK series will have generally better beam collimation than the PD series, due to the larger reflector assembly relative to the emitter size.

I was really hoping they would have shipped the upcoming TK28 TAC by now, which will be the TK version of the PD36 TAC, but I'm glad that the PD36 TAC is probably the better choice for my needs, anyway.

Latest posts