Bridgelux Vero 29 - Over 1 year continuous operation.

ErnieM

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

My main hobby is audio but I've always had a fascination with led's. I decided to make a replacement for a 300w incandescent bulb fixture that went out all the time. I finished it on 10/25/13. I had planned on making it sensor operated and mounting it in the original but never had the time after moving out. It's been sitting there plugged into an extension cord day and night.

I used 4 aluminum heatsink blocks from a prosound amplifier. The mounting holes just so happened to match the led's. Got lucky on that one. The power supply is a 100w emerson.

http://imgur.com/a/YpCk3

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty neat set up. I too have used heat sinks out of old radio gear. Mostly old CB/Ham radio & car audio. I did basically the same thing. One of my work bench lights is set up like yours. It is a 12 volt led, fused with arctic silver to a heat sink from a old Texas Star 10 meter amplifier. I run with a Astron 20 amp power supply. It works very well.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the pics.

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
The Bridgelux Decor Ultra claims to achieve 97 CRI. However, I have seen the spectral graph for this, and there is still a fairly big dip in the bluish-cyan region of the spectrum, between the blue spike and green.

SemiMan

Banned
If you are telling the truth then you have likely seen it overlayed with the same spectrum from a halogen bulb and hence would know that compared to halogen it is not much of a dip.

As well, it is not simply 97CRI, it is 87+ on from R1-R15 with two small drops at 87, and 92 with 96+ across the board otherwise.

I don't think anyone could tell the difference from halogen without instrumentation. Keep in mind that dip is at 480nm.

Semiman

ErnieM

Newly Enlightened
Pretty neat set up. I too have used heat sinks out of old radio gear. Mostly old CB/Ham radio & car audio. I did basically the same thing. One of my work bench lights is set up like yours. It is a 12 volt led, fused with arctic silver to a heat sink from a old Texas Star 10 meter amplifier. I run with a Astron 20 amp power supply. It works very well.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the pics.

Thanks, I used the last bit of arctic silver for this light. I used the rest on a previous project that converted a 20v lithium ryobi lantern into a 2000 lumen spot/flood lamp. Used a cpu heatsink for that one. I miss that thing.

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
I don't think anyone could tell the difference from halogen without instrumentation. Keep in mind that dip is at 480nm.
I have tested the Osram Sylvania Ultra Professional Series, specifications state "95 CRI typical". It definitely feels much more halogen-like than regular LED, and the tint is much better, but the difference is still moderately noticeable, or at least perceptible. It's not halogen light, not really.
The light from a Philips Luxeon ES emitter, 95CRI 3000K, appears just a little better/softer, so possibly the Professional Series was exaggerating just a little, or Philips had a better phosphor formulation at the time.