Charger with usb output with NiMH support

gianetics

Enlightened
Hi all, I'm looking for a charger that can charge Li-ion + NiMH..........................................................tons of them.
Be able to use cell/s inserted as a power bank (usb output 5V - .5 to 2 amp output)................. lots of them
Can also act as a power bank with 1-2 NiMH batteries............................................................................I cant find a single one.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya I think you're sol on that one. The only good charger/powerbank I've come across is the XTAR pb2sl. But that doesn't match your requirement. You'd need a charger with a hefty boost circuit in each slot to cover the low voltage of nimh. It would be very complicated and very expensive, and I do t think many people would even want it. I know it's not what you're looking for, but I'd just get a good power bank and a regular charger

StephenD

Newly Enlightened
Hi, to my knowledge one that can do all that doesn't exist. However, if you cut out the lithium ion support, this one does the rest:

(Panasonic eneloop SmartPlus USB Travel Charger for 1-4 AA/AAA NI-MH Batteries with USB Port)

The amazing thing about this is that it can also discharge alkaline batteries as a powerbank to power your phone. I think that's an amazing thing to have access to. I keep this in the car with four fully charged eneloops in it as (1) they lose their charge more slowly than any lithium ion battery, and (2) if we're stuck somewhere with the car I can use batteries from local store to charge my phone.

All the best, Stephen

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all, I'm looking for a charger that can charge Li-ion + NiMH..........................................................tons of them.
Be able to use cell/s inserted as a power bank (usb output 5V - .5 to 2 amp output)................. lots of them
Can also act as a power bank with 1-2 NiMH batteries............................................................................I cant find a single one.
Strikes me that four cells can provide 5v USB output almost if not directly, rather simply without the need for a boost circuit. I have not run across a boost product. What's special about using only two cells, flexibility aside?

Dave

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old 8 bay charger that works with li ion nimh/cd, and has a usb output, i bought it from illumination supply over 5 years ago, not sure if usb is 2A, but it is there

StephenD

Newly Enlightened
Ya I think you're sol on that one. The only good charger/powerbank I've come across is the XTAR pb2sl. But that doesn't match your requirement. You'd need a charger with a hefty boost circuit in each slot to cover the low voltage of nimh. It would be very complicated and very expensive, and I do t think many people would even want it. I know it's not what you're looking for, but I'd just get a good power bank and a regular charger
Thanks for the mention of the XTAR, I've been looking for an 18650 one that closes so it feels like a proper powerbank / the batteries aren't going to fall out, so have just bought this woop :)

They don't have a single bay equivalent do they? I can't see one ... I see they are trying to attempt something with their SC1 by having a silicon band that holds the battery in, but I really prefer it to all be closed off. Fenix had one once but they discontinued it -- also not USB C

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the mention of the XTAR, I've been looking for an 18650 one that closes so it feels like a proper powerbank / the batteries aren't going to fall out, so have just bought this woop :)

They don't have a single bay equivalent do they? I can't see one ... I see they are trying to attempt something with their SC1 by having a silicon band that holds the battery in, but I really prefer it to all be closed off. Fenix had one once but they discontinued it -- also not USB C
No, but this one is quite nice. I highly recommend it. With the new vapcell 6000mah cell, you can make it a 12,000 MAH power bank. Still a pretty small size. And will do USB-C power delivery and QCOM quick charge 3.0.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys I only had the XTAR pb2s now I have to get the L model since I have a bunch of 21700's
As a kind of bit of a warning. I feel that 21700 are the best cell for this charger/power bank, but that they also fit the worst. Because you need to use the little adapter for flat top cells. But they barely fit. You kinda have to shimmy them around to get them in and out. But if they are a button top, you don't need the spacer and they fit so nice.

I thought the original one could fit 21700s, just not the extra long ones like button top, or protected or ones that have a USB-C port in them

Last edited:

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a kind of bit of a warning. I feel that 21700 are the best cell for this charger/power bank, but that they also fit the worst. Because you need to use the little adapter for flat top cells. But they barely fit. You kinda have to shimmy them around to get them in and out. But if they are a button top, you don't need the spacer and they fit so nice.

I thought the original one could fit 21700s, just not the extra long ones like button top, or protected or ones that have a USB-C port in them
The cover will not go on with 21700's