clipless pedals=ouch

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never bought clipless pedals because I didn't think I would be able to find shoes my size that fit right. I use the toe clips that came with my bike, and they work fine. It's easy to find shoes that you can ride with, and when you dismount, you don't look like a tap-dancer. Click-clack--

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
greenlight said:
I never bought clipless pedals because I didn't think I would be able to find shoes my size that fit right. I use the toe clips that came with my bike, and they work fine. It's easy to find shoes that you can ride with, and when you dismount, you don't look like a tap-dancer. Click-clack--

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you've ridden in cleats with clips, or clipless, you have NO idea what your missing - about 15% or your power!! Remember, you SPIN your peddles, not STOMP. The ability to pull backwards in the lower 2 quadrants of a stroke, plus upwards in the rear 2 really helps. Yes, you can pull UP with just toe clips, but you can't pull back

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was used to toe clips so I had no problems with clip-in pedals. My usual procedure when I pull up to a stop is to unclip my right foot and put my right toe down to steady myself. A few times for various reasons I would become unbalanced and start falling to the left. I've always saved myself but it could be bad because I'm not practiced in quickly unclipping the left foot.

I did know someone years ago who did this- she rode up to a stop and stopped, but didn't put either foot down and fell over. She said she was thinking about something else and just didn't think to put her foot down.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
There I was... (say it isn't so)
Riding up to a bench on my recumbent, there were some of my buddies and I wanted to say hi. As my speed dropped to below 1 MPH, I realized my feet were still clipped in to my Bebops! Ack!
Luckily, I got my feet out in time and one of my feet hit the ground to stop the crash. My foot started slipping as the recumbent slooooowly went down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif My buddies were impressed with the slow-motion crash and asked me if I rode much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif
Love my Bebops for the float, my left knee was rebuilt years ago and my foot has to be able to move around. My first clipless were SPDs and they caused a severe knee ache because they tend to "center" themselves and have very little float. Purchased the Bebops (recommended by a guy in the Tulsa cycling club) and won't go back.
I think zero speed crashing is a right of passage when it comes to clipless pedals. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I've never fallen from hitting a rock or anything like that with clipless, but when i first started when i would come to a stop on the street and either clip out my right foot and fall to the left or i couldnt get it out at all and i would have to keep on riding until i could get out. I looked like a idiot
its part of the learning curve

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
The 1st day I got cleated pedals I stopped at the lights, couldn't unclip, and fell over in front of 1/2 a dozen laughing motorists. Determined that it would never happen again I rode home (carefully), and tried practising unclipping in the garage whilst leaning against our car. Again I couldn't unclip and fell flat on my face in front of my laughing wife. The embarrasment factor of those two occasions was sufficient that it's never happened again!

The small amount of initial pain and embarrasment is more than compensated for by the ability to ride without knee pain. With normal pedals I tend to ride pigeon toed, and the resulting misalignment of my kneecaps causes a lot of pain. With feet clipped in the correct orientation, the pain is almost eliminated.

Plus I like walking around in my bike shoes making clip clop noises (it irritates others /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

rikvee

Enlightened
these are very amusing posts, especially for a bicycle-riding Dutchman like me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Rikvee did you use clipless pedals in Holland, or are there not enough hills to make it worthwhile? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Not that many hills in WA either!

I never bothered until I moved to western Brisbane, which is unbelievably hilly. If I'm getting my bike fixed and have to ride my spare bike (with normal pedals) to work I nearly die /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

rikvee

Enlightened
Good point gadgetnerd, my Dutch bike didn't even have gears, and the brake worked by pedalling backward, excellent for riding with no hands...
The one I have now (a 70's Peugot 10 speed) could do with clips perhaps, but I'm just an A-B sunny weather cyclist, I actually wish I still had my old clunky Dutch bike (a Gazelle), heavy but almost indestructable...

etnt

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like you need an one-on inbred singlespeed. Nothing like the feel of steel (ok, I'm biased).

nisshin

Enlightened
I ride a recumbent tadpole trike (Greenspeed) and I stay clipped in all the time. I use Shimano PD-M540s; I find the higher-priced pedals are smoother clipping in/out.
nisshin