CPFReviews.com: Nuwai Q100 .. The famous QIII Reinvented :)

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nuwai Q-100
provided for review by www.nuwai.com.tw

General Description:
Nuwai Q-100 is attractive single CR123 battery based Luxeon Rebel LED flashlight. Nuwai Q-100 is the next incarnation of very popular Nuwai QIII LED Flashlight. Reflector used in Nuwai Q-100 is made of solid aluminium and has faceted Medium Orange Peel (MOP) finish for a smooth beam output. Electronics inside Nuwai Q-100 are simple step up based drive circuit. Nuwai Q-100 is a single brightness level flashlight. Body of Nuwai Q-100 is built of aircraft grade aluminum alloy with black anodized type III hard coat coating. HAIII ensures less wear and tear. In comparison the original Nuwai QIII had HA type II coating. Q-100 comes with pre installed steel pocket clip. The operating switch located on tailcap and has black color rubber boot. The rubber boot is recessed so light can stand on tail. Earlier version Nuwai QIII had slightly protruding tailcap switch rubber boot. There are O-Ring seals at various places for waterproofing. One of the remarkable things of Nuwai Q-100 is the use of ultra clear polycarbonate lens. The fabrication trait of Nuwai Q-100 gives a feeling of strong built body with thick body walls. Nuwai Q-100 is packaged in very eye-catching black colored card board box.

Light Features:
  • Luxeon Rebel 100
  • Faceted medium orange peel reflector
  • Simple step up drive circuit
  • Strong built
  • Can stand on tail (Candle Mode)
Light Operation: Simple click switch. For Switching ON / OFF use tail cap switch. Click once to switch on, click again to switch off.
Pictures:
Packaging: Nuwai Q-100 comes pleasingly packaged card board box. On bottom right portion of the box, there is shining mirror like, reflective, silver metallic imprint describing light model number.
IMG_1210_Nuwai-Q100_Box2.jpg

IMG_1222_Nuwai-Q100_Box.jpg

Inside the main card board box, there is molded foam container comfortably holding Nuwai Q-100 flashlight and carry holster. Also included is a single page manual having light specifications, instructions to replace battery and warnings.

Size Comparison:
Pictured below From L to R:New Nuwai Q-100 and elder brother Nuwai QIII. As you may have already noticed, Nuwai Q-100 tad smaller in height and there is distinct change in head portion. Overall the new Nuwai Q-100 maintains the look and feel of highly popular QIII. Note that the QIII is over 4 years old and it has suffered dents and exposed anodizing. It's gone through a lot of rough use over the years. The type II anodized has hold well, though there is some erosion at the edges. Comparatively, the type III hard anodized coating of Nuwai Q-100 promises to hold well in rough usage.
IMG_1238_Nuwai-Q100_Size1.jpg

Another size comparison From L to R: Standard CR123, Nuwai Q-100 and AW CR123 Battery. Nuwai Q-100 is about 2.5 times in length of CR123 battery.
IMG_1262_Nuwai-Q100_Size.jpg

Bezel Comparison: On the left is Nuwai Q-100 where as on right is the Nuwai QIII. Q-100 has ultra clear polycarbonate lens where as the QIII had a acrylic lens. Another change is in number of curved crenellations. There are 5 crenellations on QIII bezel where as 3 on Nuwai Q-100. The reflector appears similar to the original QIII with modifications to accept Luxeon Rebel R100 LED. Beam profile for both the lights is very similar, very smooth transition from hotspot to side spill. On a side note, you might be wondering what's so with the QIII bezel. It's the scratches on the lens. To fix that, there are a lot of aftermarket QIII accessories available to replace the acrylic lens with AR Coated Glass lens.
IMG_1242_Nuwai-Q100_Reflector.jpg

Bezel, Reflector & LED of Nuwai Q-100: Let's have a closer look at the bezel of Nuwai Q-100. Luxeon Rebel 100 LED is aligned almost at center. As already mentioned, reflector in Nuwai Q-100 built from solid Aluminium and has faceted Medium Orange Peel (MOP) finish. Implementing faceted orange peel reflector addresses two major issues in light beam pattern management. Firstly, it makes the beam pattern smooth, there is a very elegant transition from hotspot to side spill. There are no rings in the beam that are usually associated with smooth reflectors. Secondly, it takes care of slight misalignment of LED and ensures good and evenly centered beam coming out of the bezel.
IMG_1244_Nuwai-Q100_Body.jpg

IMG_1287_Nuwai-Q100_Bezel.jpg

Closeup of LED & reflector in Nuwai Q-100. You may notice slight misalignment of LED. The fact is that in this picture the actual size of LED die is 1mm square and picture shows LED greatly magnified. On a 1280 pixel width 15 inch monitor, die size can be measured as 20mm, that's about 20x magnification. The LED alignment is off only by 0.2 mm only and moreover the faceted reflector takes care of this minor issue.
IMG_1287_Nuwai-Q100_LEDCloseUP.jpg

Body: Nuwai Q-100 is built from aircraft grade aluminium. Body is sandblasted to give a matt finish and has black type III hard coat anodizing. The built quality of Nuwai Q-100 is good. The body is designed in such a way that light will not roll off. Body walls of Nuwai Q-100 are relatively of good thickness indicating robust construction. Battery tube has rectangular machined knurling like grooves that provide excellent grip. Tailcap houses the operating switch. Overall the construction of Nuwai Q-100 is fairly strong. The rubber boot on tailcap switch does not protrude thus allowing tail stand capability.
IMG_1254_Nuwai-Q100_Body.jpg

On the other side of body, you can see the pocket clip attached with the body. Clip has means of attaching lanyard

IMG_1258_Nuwai-Q100_Body.jpg

Components: Nuwai Q-100 actually consists of three main components, head, battery tube and tailcap but the head and battery tube are glued with loctite together. Head houses LED, reflector and electronics. Battery tube can accommodate single CR123 battery. CR123 battery does not rattle and yet enough space is there for free battery movement. Tailcap has switch with black rubber boot.
IMG_1263_Nuwai-Q100_Open.jpg

Extreme Close Picture: Nuwai Q-100
Nuwai-Q100_ExtremeCloseUp_03.jpg

More: Light Info - More Pictures - Beam Shots - Extreme CloseUp Pictures

Last edited:

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
Nice review. I personally like the crenulations on the Q3 better, but maybe they heads will be swappable.

Now the real question. When are the REST of the Nuwai Rebels going to be for sale? I've been DYING for a TM-308XR for months.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can it operate with a RCR123?

Like Previous QIII I don't think so.. the circuit appears to be simple step-up circuit based on the readings and current draws (CR 123 draws 0.9 Amp where as AW RCR123 draws 1.1 Amp) .. so it appears that it's not designed to take RCR123.. But :poke:I tried :sssh: putting up an AW RCR123 (took measurements for total output)... and it did work (technically yes) ... but then I wouldn't want to run it for anything over a couple of minutes or so...

Niteowl

Enlightened
Very nice review Viren. Great pics, especially the closeup of the finish.

I received one of these a couple months ago and posted my thoughts on it. With search disabled I could not locate the thread.

I was initially impressed with the light as the Q-III was a favorite of mine and still have two in use. I took the head apart and my enthusiam was dampened upon finding the reflector was attached to the light engine and not threaded into the head. This coupled with the fact mine had a plastic reflector glued to the front (outside) of the bezel (not held in place by the reflector) was enough for me to put it up for sale. I ended up giving it away as it went unsold.....

I find it interesting that your sample has a glass lens. I had ranted about the glued on plastic lens and let Nuwai know what I thought of it. I wonder if they actually listened to me, or if I simply got a pre-production type sample. I would have kept mine if it had a glass lens. How is your lense mounted?

I found the recessed button nice for tailstanding but too deep for the manner in which I used my Q-III, but the plastic lens was the deal breaker.

One thing I found was the switch assembly was improved with a metal retainer and the spring was attached to the switchboard. An improvement IMO.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice review Viren. Great pics, especially the closeup of the finish.

I received one of these a couple months ago and posted my thoughts on it. With search disabled I could not locate the thread.

I was initially impressed with the light as the Q-III was a favorite of mine and still have two in use. I took the head apart and my enthusiam was dampened upon finding the reflector was attached to the light engine and not threaded into the head. This coupled with the fact mine had a plastic reflector glued to the front (outside) of the bezel (not held in place by the reflector) was enough for me to put it up for sale. I ended up giving it away as it went unsold.....

I find it interesting that your sample has a glass lens. I had ranted about the glued on plastic lens and let Nuwai know what I thought of it. I wonder if they actually listened to me, or if I simply got a pre-production type sample. I would have kept mine if it had a glass lens. How is your lense mounted?

I found the recessed button nice for tailstanding but too deep for the manner in which I used my Q-III, but the plastic lens was the deal breaker.

One thing I found was the switch assembly was improved with a metal retainer and the spring was attached to the switchboard. An improvement IMO.

The lens looks like glass and with AR Coating... Not sure if this is old version / new. I have requested Nuwai for more info.

From the pictures posted, would you be able to identify the difference between your sample?

To me the first picture (here) shows a vast difference between Old and New Lens
IMG_1242_Nuwai-Q100_Reflector.jpg

- More Pictures - ... after reading your observation and :thinking:.... and a very close view at the lens, there appears to be slight deformation... but nothing that can certainly say for sure if this sample has acrylic / plastic / glass. Having used light for a couple of weeks, didn't develop any scratches on lens.... (which leads me to conclude that it is indeed glass) I could be wrong though... unless we find difference between the earlier and this Q-100

(if it is plastic, it would look different right? like the older QIII)

IMG_1244_Nuwai-Q100_Body.jpg

Will wait for reply from Nuwai on this.

Niteowl

Enlightened
I took an X-acto knife and was able to push it into the lens slightly. I do recall the lens looking quite clear which is why I tested it. Once I got it apart to see if I could replace it, it was easier to tell visually that it was plastic.

Found my posts. One can really appreciate the time you put into your review after looking at my pics.......