Cree TW retrofit dimmer?

bmwpowere36m3

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a bunch of the Cree 6" TW retrofit cans (2700k) and so far I really like them… very bright, not too "incandescent" and instant on.

However I tried putting one room on a dimmer and it starting humming/buzzing very, very faintly. I mean like dead silent house and holding my breath, but perceivable. Sort of, you think you're hearing something, but aren't sure. You switch the light ON and OFF and just perceive that hum. Besides the hum, there's also a full-second delay (supposedly start-up sequence/circuit in switch).

I used a Lutron Toggler TGCL-153P (CFL/LED). The LEDs dim very well, from full brightness to nearly off. However regardless of dimmer setting, there's faint hum/buzz. Called Lutron, since the dimmer is both listed on their and Cree's compatibility list. They basically said, to look for MLV or ELV dimmers. Some of those dimmers are upwards of $60… I've also read some just use standard dimmers with Crees and they work well.

Anyway, before I buy a BUNCH of dimmers to try… anyone have any experiences with the Cree TW retrofits?

kwi745

Newly Enlightened
However I tried putting one room on a dimmer and it starting humming/buzzing very, very faintly.

Your description is identical to my own observations. In a quiet house with breath held, I can hear the buzz/humm -- but otherwise really excellent lights. Did you ever find a dimmer solution that worked better for you?

SemiMan

Banned
I picked up a bunch of the Cree 6" TW retrofit cans (2700k) and so far I really like them… very bright, not too "incandescent" and instant on.

However I tried putting one room on a dimmer and it starting humming/buzzing very, very faintly. I mean like dead silent house and holding my breath, but perceivable. Sort of, you think you're hearing something, but aren't sure. You switch the light ON and OFF and just perceive that hum. Besides the hum, there's also a full-second delay (supposedly start-up sequence/circuit in switch).

I used a Lutron Toggler TGCL-153P (CFL/LED). The LEDs dim very well, from full brightness to nearly off. However regardless of dimmer setting, there's faint hum/buzz. Called Lutron, since the dimmer is both listed on their and Cree's compatibility list. They basically said, to look for MLV or ELV dimmers. Some of those dimmers are upwards of $60… I've also read some just use standard dimmers with Crees and they work well.

Anyway, before I buy a BUNCH of dimmers to try… anyone have any experiences with the Cree TW retrofits?

ELV dimmers will probably be quieter, but may not be silent.

The noise is from mechanical energy of the rapid current rise into inductor(s) in the fixture. ELV do not have that rapid turn on, but they have a rapid turn off. Usually the magnitude is less hence less noise.

Latest posts