• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Cree XP-G2 added to the line - 2014

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I fried my XP-G2 Haiku head earlier in the year and finally decided to replace it. Wondering if I should stick with the G2 or go with the XPL-Hi.

Don - is the XPL-Hi in the Haiku head deeply set, like the G2 and the 119 Nichia? I find this useful when tailstanding and working close by, less likely to blind myself than when using a torch with the LED closer to the lens.

Is the G2 still competitive 5-6 years after it was introduced?

I think the XPL is a better choice as it puts more of its light into the reflector than the XPG2. The LED is set in the same location as the XPG2. The XPG2 is still a good LED and they have improved in terms of efficiency but I think the XPL(HI) is an improvement over the XPG in terms of flux and efficacy.

thenikjones

Newly Enlightened
I think the XPL is a better choice as it puts more of its light into the reflector than the XPG2. The LED is set in the same location as the XPG2. The XPG2 is still a good LED and they have improved in terms of efficiency but I think the XPL(HI) is an improvement over the XPG in terms of flux and efficacy.

Thanks Don, I appreciate your advice. Order coming soon.