CRKT M16-01KZ. . . Love the knive but hate the steel - now what?

fangle

Newly Enlightened
A while back I was able to get a CRKT M16-01KZ lockblade at a good price along with a LED headlight at Fry's Electronics. I use it for EDC and it is about perfect for that. I like the size, weight, thickness, and blade shape. The flipper works really well as long as I clean out the pocket lint every so often, and the finish has held up well in the same pocket as keys, change, etc. I am extremely happy with the design of the knife.

But the CRKT blade just doesn't want to hold an edge. I have a dealextreme knife that needs less sharpening.

I have a Lansky system and I can put a very nice edge on the blade, but it seems to dull quickly. I tried both the 20 and 25 degree settings and it makes little difference in blade life. I think there are two reasons for this. 1. The knife is open on the bottom so coins, etc. can get into the knife and hit the blade. 2. The AUS4 steel just isn't that great.

CRKT makes an AUS8 version, but it is >$100 and made of titanium, not what I want for a knife that gets used at work every day. What is a similar knife for size, shape, general looks, and one handed opening ability (I don't really want an assisted opener) that is in the ~$50 range but has good blade steel?

Thanks,

Ed

WDR65

Enlightened
Ed,
There are a lot of choices with better steels in that range. I'm partial to Spyderco and a full flat ground Delica in VG-10 steel would be in the same size range and about $55-60 new. The reason I say full flat ground is that they slice better and in my opinion are easier to sharpen than the standard saber ground Delicas.The one drawback to a Delica is asthetics, they don't look like a standard knife with the Spyder hole in the blade. A Benchmade mini-Griptillian would also fit your bill, they come in 154cm steel which is comparable to VG-10. The Axis lock is a nifty lock but the sharpening on fresh from the factory Benchmades sometimes leaves something to be desired. Other options might include the Buck Vantage in S30V, the Kershaw Echelon is Sandvick 14C28N steel. They are all in your price range depending on where you look.

That's just a few options and I'm sure more will chime in. As I said I'm partial to Spyderco and I really like VG-10 steel, the only steel that I really like better is S30V. I cut a lot of sisal rope and seatbelt strap that is often dirty and I can make it through a couple of days without sharpening VG-10 or S30V, lesser steels I've had to sharpen every day.

Zechs00GT

Newly Enlightened
If you shop around you should be able to find an M16 with better steel than AUS 4 for under $50.

I've been eyeing this one:: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001H3N2MC/?tag=cpf0b6-20

But haven't pulled the trigger mostly because I've been waiting to see what street prices are on this one: http://www.crkt.com/Ripple-Folding-Pocket-Knife-Bronze-Handle

Like WDR65 said Spyderco makes great knives, but they are a little more expensive then CRKT.

Its more than $50 but a great knife
http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Manix2-Translucent-PlainEdge-Knife/dp/B0051HLOV6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360877988&sr=8-2&keywords=manix+2

You can also look at the SOG Flash 2. Good sized knife, with prices under $50 and lots of variety http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00139LAYM/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
Crkt is a great company with great CS. IF your not happy email them, first they're going to want you to send it to them, spend the $5 on shipping- they WILL make you happy, first they'll send you an exact replacement to give it a try but after that they'll give you full value credit towards any of their products.

I just went threw this with them, 4 years ago I was given a m16-10kz, I sent it in to be sharpened and serviced about a year ago and it came back nice but then developed a problem with the auto-lawks system, I emailed them and they said for the trouble of having to send the same knife in 2 different times (all this without my original receipt mind you) I can have my choice of any other knife of equal or lesser value for free (just ship mine back first) or a full value credit towards anything else!

I own 2 CRKT knives, I EDC one or the other and use it every day, I have great blade sharpness life with both, I don't use any fancy sharpener or power tool, just a good old stone and I use a method I was shown by an old Native American when I was a boy in scouts- I keep a razor edge on them both and I do so sharpening them MAYBE every 2 weeks, when I say razor sharp I mean cuts arm hair no problem.

Point of the story- just email them, they WILL take care of you and make you happy, you may not be happy with that knife but they will try their best to get you something you will be happy with.

Latest posts