Dedoming and TIR optics (Olight S1)

Lux of Sweden

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

I've been quietly hanging around here for a couple of years now and read thousands of stimulating (though initially not seldom frustrating) threads and this is my first post.

I have recently become interested in dedoming and performed my first one (Olight M22) successfully. (By the way: really impressed by the difference, and found the new tint to be more pleasant.)

Now I'm thinking about dedoming the XM-L2 on my Olight S1. I have searched the forum concerning TIR optics in this regard; however, the picture is, due to my lack of insight in this matter, still unclear to me.

All thoughts on this matter highly appreciated.

Cheers from Sweden - the kingdom where the sun always sets,
Peter

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
start bt searching Cutter.com.au...there are 4-5 companies making optics and the range on narrow beam ones in around 20mm is not a big one

Lux of Sweden

Newly Enlightened
Thank you KosPap.

Could you elaborate on that, please? Are TIR optics in general suited to dedome?

Wet

Newly Enlightened
It's difficult to imagine how exactly dedoming would affect the beam pattern because the travel path of light is so complicated inside the TIR optic. It seems to me like light would get refracted 2 times and reflected 1 time in the S1 optic before exiting it. If you have one extra dedomed XM-L, you could just take the S1 lens out and test it on the extra XM-L before dedoming the emitter of S1 itself. If you do that, share the results, i'm also interested what would happen.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dedoming works fine with TIR optics. Results are pretty much the same as if you dedome in a conventional reflector. You get:

1. Much more throw.
2. Lower lumens.
3. Narrower hotspot
4. Beam pattern becomes much warmer, and with CREE LEDs, much greener.

Do_the_fandango

Newly Enlightened
"thinking about dedoming the XM-L2 on my Olight S1. I have searched the forum concerning TIR optics in this regard; however, the picture is, due to my lack of insight in this matter, still unclear to me. All thoughts on this matter highly appreciated."@Lux of Sweden: were you able to find out any more info regarding dedoming this light?i am very interested in having an S1 CU with improved throw, which I assume this mod would do. Any advice / suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks