DIY flashlight projector

crimelovinfunster

Newly Enlightened
Hi there! I'm a photographer and I've been using an adapted 30W GOBO projector as my light source. It works very well as I use it in the studio, although it's heavy to lug around for in-the-field shots as it uses mains electricity - I have to bring a 240V UK mains power bank.

This instructibles has caught my attention:

I have the bellows and the 50mm 1.4 lens, and I'm looking for the right flash light - the recommendations here are 5 years out of date and I'm wondering if there's anything better.

So I'm looking for a flashlight with an output of 15-20W, has a beam diameter of around 40mm when it exits the torch, will last for around an hour without overheating and has replaceable batteries or can be powered externally.

Oh and are there any torches with lens adapter attachments or threads?
Or can an adapter be 3D printed?

I'm definitely wibbling! I've probably posted about 4 posts worth in one go, but hey?

projector hack:

20220629_151013.jpg

photo taken with coloured slit projection
DSC03045.jpg

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast

Might be easier to make something homemade like this?

Only smaller - smaller aspherical lens, smaller heatsink for the LED. The LED is powerful and the driver can be bought quite inexpensively.

Most flashlights with reflectors at close range have a non-uniform beam, there is a hole in the center, so I thought about an aspherical lens.

I would advise you alos write here, there are many people involved in the alteration of everything and there are very experienced

SYZYGY

Enlightened
So I'm looking for a flashlight with an output of 15-20W, has a beam diameter of around 40mm when it exits the torch, will last for around an hour without overheating and has replaceable batteries or can be powered externally.

not sure about the light, but i'll add that this is 15–20 W*h.

divide that by 3.6V, and you're at 4.2–5.6 A*h of "output". depending on efficiency, one high quality 21700 might be a bit anemic.

sounds like a 2x18650 or 2x21700 project minimum.