• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Don's contribution to Titanium and the Medical Professional

Ghostwalker54

Newly Enlightened
Titanium is used in the medical industry for a wide variety of replacement parts and augmented items (i.e. screws, rods and plates for orthopedic and dental surgery) as well as many instruments to get the job done. The most common types of titanium for medical use today are 6AL4V and 6AL4V ELI alloys made of 6% Aluminum and 4% Vanadium. This being said not all of us run the show at a large hospital, live in the O.R. or round on patients on the floors and intensive care units. In my case I gave up the expensive sports cars and a lavish home in order to follow another dream that sees me not only working for one of the largest hospitals in the U.S. but also traveling three to four times a year to parts of Western and Central China and Southeast Asia on medical mission trips. For several years I have carried Surefire lights (some of which I find from this forum are now collectors pieces……guess I should have held on to them) for field work, backcountry camping and just lighting the way. In the past year or two I have started to put titanium to that very same use for its ability to be sterilized easily without damaging the O-rings or optics with Don's Sundrop and Haiku topping the list. My field kit as it now stands with the exception of an older Ti light that is having the head fit with a newer emitter setup. Thanks Don for a great medical product! And I bet you thought it was only a flashlight. :thumbsup:

Customlightkitformedicalmissions008800x432_zps7bb474e1.jpg

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Don McLeish: is there anything he can't do?

I'm still waiting for the autobiography!

And thanks GhostWalker for taking care of all those people in need. :thumbsup:

Ghostwalker54

Newly Enlightened
Thank Don! His lights, especially the Sundrop for field work during low light conditions, have made my life a lot simpler. You can thank my wife also (whom I met on a trip to Tibet) for convincing me that her Buddhist friends and fellow Chinese family and friends needed my help. I'm no saint! That's for damn sure. Tibet is cold and the average elevation on the plateau is 14,500 ft. Western Central China (i.e. Chengdu, Sichuan Province) has some of the poorest air quality in the world. Between there, Vietnam and a few other locals I stay damp, cold, "It ain't my bed!" miserable or all of the fore mentioned. I wonder if Don would trade me a light or two for my wife? :whistle:

My next trip is in April, Don! I think I could talk her into getting in the shipping crate by then.

Last edited:

Ghostwalker54

Newly Enlightened
Typical winter day in Chengdu! Thats my wife in traditional Tibetan clothing with our ankle biter Xiao Yu.

MarkandJian423800x532_zps4265bebc.jpg

Foot hills into Tibet!

MarkandJian2288800x533_zps88ee6c45.jpg

DTF

Enlightened
I've wondered about the medical application of McGizmos. Especially, the Hi CRI Mule. I have to visit a dermatologist on a regular basis and he pulls out a plastic multi LED flashlight, no doubt especially designed for examination, to take a good look. My initial thought was, "a Hi CRI Mule would be better." Now, my second thought is, "when was the last time that flashlight has been properly sterilized?" Probably never.

It looks like from the pics that your McGizmos do not have the latest clip with the 1/4" - 20 mounting holes. This clip allows the flashlight to be easily mounted to just about any photographic tripod, ball head, clamp, etc. This is extremely handy, (essential IMO), for photography use of these flashlights. I would think that this adaptability of mounting for your work would be helpful.

One of my main uses is when I groom Jaqi (my Gordon Setter) after her bigs runs through heavy brush. This grooming takes place in the back of the SUV and often is at night. The light I use is a Hi CRI Mule attached to a small ball head which is attached to a Manfrotto clamp. It's a snap to set the light up on one of the hatch struts and point the Mule in the right direction. This allows me to do a really good examination of Jaqi's paws (a real two-handed operation) that never could be done as well with any other flashlight.

Ghostwalker54

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a single level high Sundrop and one of the very clips of what you speak on Friday and, according to tracking, should be here tomorrow. As far as your MD's flashlight it may or may not see sterilization (if you are lucky he will wipe it down at the end of the day). As far as his flashlight goes unless it was a specialized headset light it may have been a catalog item that anyone can buy. Many of my collegues are of the oppinion that an exam just needs a pair of clean, out-of-the-box gloves (you notice that I did not state sterile gloves) unless dealing with an open wound. Another reality is that Don's lights (or any of the custom Ti lights for that matter) with the FDA's approval and several million dollars spent on convincing them (a lot of palm greasing) to place a medical stamp of approval on it would bring three to four times the price for a physician, RN, RRT or anyone else for that matter to buy. My brother in-law is the vice president of a pharmaceutical company. Anything stamped "medical" by the FDA brings a hefty profit due to the expense of getting it on the market with that approval stamp.

Ghostwalker54

Newly Enlightened
We actually use a product called ChloraPrep! It comes in two varieties: one for general sterilization of the skin and the other is for pre-op. "ChloraPrep patient preoperative skin preparation is a rapid-acting, persistent and broad-spectrum antiseptic for a range of minor and major medical procedures. The 2% Chlorhexidine Gluconate/70% Isopropyl Alcohol formulation acts fast on a broad spectrum of bacteria, and keeps fighting bacteria for at least 48 hours." See web site: http://www.carefusion.com/medical-products/CareFusion-brands/ChloraPrep. We also use Unimed Midwest, Inc Sani-Cloth Plus Low-Alcohol Surface Disinfectant Wipes (use gloves with this item. It can eat you alive).......................again see web:http://www.unimedmidwest.com/Disinfectants/Pages/saniclothplus. Both work great but the sani-cloth for the lights under the norm. Autoclaves would be an expensive luxury that can't be supported in many area's and can possibly destroy rubber and plastic parts and, like boiling, is much too time consuming.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Dr.,

What you are doing is great, and I admire you for what you are doing. The cars are not really worth it, and if that is your wife, well you are doing fine.

Good luck on your missions and endeavors - stay safe.

With much respect and admiration,

And all best wishes,

Ned Redway

DTF

Enlightened
." Now, my second thought is, "when was the last time that flashlight has been properly sterilized?" Probably never.

Space flight? Shuttle missions or the ISS? Just a guess.

I bet Howard Hughes and Michael Jackson's lights were!:laughing:

Was thinking of the specific flashlight in the hands of my doctor. For my next visit, plan is bring along my Hi CRI Mule to show him what a real pro uses.

Ghostwalker54

Newly Enlightened
:laughing: Thanks Ned! That's really my wife. She's Buddhist, stubborn as hell at times and did not like this picture at first until I explained that it was to light the way to the "proper path" that Buddha has placed in front of us. I don't think she really bought it! But she allowed me the benefit of the doubt!

MarkandJian538800x533_zps4f62d9fd.jpg

I'm hoping Buddha won't be too angry with Don's Haiku on his alter! At least it has "candle" power and she certainly lights enough of those.

Last edited:

DTF

Enlightened
What got me started with McGizmo was the singular requirement that the flashlight had to have a 1/4" - 20 mount. Would have thought that this would be a more common feature but it's really very rare. I've used the same basic clamp and ballhead setup for years. Relatively cheap, completely reliable, portable as can be. It consists of:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546365-REG/Manfrotto_275_275_Mini_Clip_Clamp.html
or
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546392-REG/Manfrotto_175_175_Spring_Clamp.html

To make these clamps work, a stud is needed, I use: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/304651-REG/Manfrotto_013_013_Double_Ended_Spigot.html

Then on end of the stud a ballhead, I use: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=660317&Q=&is=REG&A=details

End result looks like this:

D4A_0320.jpg by Dean Fletcher - Photographer - Portland, on Flickr

Ghostwalker54

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Benchiew, DTF and RedLed for your posts! You help to remind medical personnel to do their job properly and at the same time bring to light (no pun intended) some great ideas for medical lighting issues in the field.

DTF

Enlightened
Thought of this thread the other day when, after a big run by Jaqi, the Gordon Setter, at Sandy River Delta park. She hit a patch of huge burrs and ended up with about 10 buried in her fur. Our normal 10-15 minute cleanup lasted for over an hour and by the end it was total dark. Fortunately, I had my McGizmo Hi CRI Mule in the clamp setup pictured which instantly clips to the back hatch strut and gives the perfect light for digging out embedded burrs.

Ghostwalker54

Newly Enlightened
I'm making a clamp setup of my own, DTF! Thanks for the view of yours. Fortunately it will never replace the human factor. An extra set of hands to hold a light and grab instruments helps.

Latest posts