Dorcy Rechargeable Cree XRE Review

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest, afer reading this review I felt pretty much dissapointed by other CREE lights manufacturers. After that much "research and development", I though their technology was the top of the line and hard to beat but...

Dorcy, a company which is NOT specialized in high power LEDs, made a flashlight that is able to throw as good as, if not better than much more expensive models like the DBS and A10. Not to add its low pricetag and included accesories.

What I am saying is, we wait and discuss so much about the Tiablo A10 (just an example), but at the real life it gets outthrown by a light which you can just go and grab one at walmart.

jake25

Enlightened
To be honest, afer reading this review I felt pretty much dissapointed by other CREE lights manufacturers. After that much "research and development", I though their technology was the top of the line and hard to beat but...

Dorcy, a company which is NOT specialized in high power LEDs, made a flashlight that is able to throw as good as, if not better than much more expensive models like the DBS and A10. Not to add its low pricetag and included accesories.

What I am saying is, we wait and discuss so much about the Tiablo A10 (just an example), but at the real life it gets outthrown by a light which you can just go and grab one at walmart.
Well said. I couldn't agree more. What makes these high end flashlights so high end?

Maybe the saving grace is the regulation and run time graphs in them. If Dorcy had at least a NiMH battery it would be a winner imo.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Form factor, build quality, CS, and warranty are what makes the price jump up in the high end lights.

Richie086

Enlightened
I just purchased the Dorcy Rechargeable Cree XRE from Dorcy Direct for $43.99. There was a special, receive 20% off. I used the code HOLIDAY20. I opted for free shipping. There is another holiday special 15% off use HOLIDAY. I'm not sure if the HOLIDAY20 special is still working.

Hi Ernsanada,

You did a wonderful job on your review of the Dorcy. You may also want to upgrade the lens as I did. I know you have the information already because I noticed you found the other thread on this flashlight. I'll keep an eye on this thread too in the event you come up with other upgrades.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ernsanada -

Nice, easy to read and understand review. I truely enjoy the picture rich style format.

I too found the balance to be surprisingly good.

"I found this information in a thread about this light.

Drive current is 1000Ma
Vf is 4.8 V
Cree Q4 rated at 220 Lm at 1000Ma

Non regulated drive circuit so initial current is present when batteries are fully charged.

I am very surprised at the lux readings I got. It's in the same range of the Dereelight DBS V2 Q5 3S and the Tiablo A10 R2 I have.
"

That was from some guys at Dorcy USA. I've added some amperage observations to the other thread which may help to explain part of the reason this little $40.00 job is nosing out the throw daddies.

dorcy 220 lu thread

Last edited:

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Form factor, build quality, CS, and warranty are what makes the price jump up in the high end lights.

+1

You can also see the beam from the Tiablo A10 is clearly the brightest in the distance shots. The Dorcy's reflector isn't really all that great, it just has more lux up close.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently picked one of these up, and I just noticed that your reflector is different than mine. Mine has a much larger opening, and you can see more of the Cree board when looking down the head. Does anyone else have one that is similar to mine?

oregon

Enlightened
I recently picked one of these up, and I just noticed that your reflector is different than mine. Mine has a much larger opening, and you can see more of the Cree board when looking down the head. Does anyone else have one that is similar to mine?

The gap, doesn't show what lies beneath, between the light engine and the reflector is quite small on my Dorcy (photo taken thru UCL):
P1150372.jpg

oregon

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is different from the two pictures above. Mine doesn't have that small silver plastic section that is directly beside the Cree. I don't think it affects the beam at all, but I was wondering if anyone else has one like it.

tedshred

Newly Enlightened
Mine doesn't have flat real estate in the bottom. Very wide opening.

Icebreak, can you get a beamshot of yours against a wall? I'm wondering if it looks different than the ones with a flat bottom (like mine).

Has anyone tried to separate the the part that houses the switch with the battery tube? I ask because this threaded charging port ring is pretty funky. Mine wants to rotate when I hold it, so maybe an o-ring tucked up against the flange where the threaded port slide rests when closed (the part that houses the clicky) might hold it more solid. Also, I notice the charging port ring is quite loose when spun open or closed so maybe some silicone grease might smooth things up. Not sure what to do to improve that part of the design.
DSC00008.jpg

Here's the xre
DSC00012.jpg

IMG%5D

IMG%5D

Overall, I really like this light. Fantastic throw, great knurling, solid feel in the hand and what not.

Last edited: