EBL batteries any good?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
So recently I stuck my last spare RCR in a newly acquired flashlight and went looking online for RCR's with a usb charge port since I've grown fond of that kind in a 1 cell light. My usual brand Elzetta are now $11 each so I got to looking around and saw EBL batteries has a 4 pack for the price of 1 Elzetta.

The listing said all the right words, the reviews were 5 words or less but all positive. After looking around more I don't see much written about EBL aside from reviews with buttons to buy at Amazon. I'm always suspicious of those.

So, anybody here use EBL batteries?

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
So recently I stuck my last spare RCR in a newly acquired flashlight and went looking online for RCR's with a usb charge port since I've grown fond of that kind in a 1 cell light. My usual brand Elzetta are now $11 each so I got to looking around and saw EBL batteries has a 4 pack for the price of 1 Elzetta.

The listing said all the right words, the reviews were 5 words or less but all positive. After looking around more I don't see much written about EBL aside from reviews with buttons to buy at Amazon. I'm always suspicious of those.

So, anybody here use EBL batteries?

No. No input on EBL, but I'm also not much in the mood to bottom-feed on price w/Li-ion, or to experiment with Li-ion manufacturers I've either (practically) never heard of &/or have no experience with. I'll leave that to others.

If you want to know what I've been using for several years with good results and can recommend, that would be these. I've not had time to do good 'proper' followup testing with significant charge cycles on them , but the ones I have are still performing well in service, and I'd buy them again:

Here's another option from Nitecore, and while I've not used this specific cell, I do use their USB-charging 14500s daily, and they have been performing well in service for several years of daily use. This is the 16340:

Just as an aside: It just so happens that I'm currently testing / evaluating a different cell which is looking like it will likely become my new 'standard' 16340 choice for all my (good many) 1x16340 lights, which I use frequently, and may be one of the few (if any) which can meet the needs of all of those lights. It is a protected cell that is shorter than any other protected 16340 I currently have, is currently testing @~800 mAh (tested @ 1A discharge), is rated at 4A continuous current output, and is from a manufacturer with a good reputation / name to protect, and a good U.S. market presence. It does NOT, however include on-board USB charging (which I use only occasionally), but the tradeoff with what it does offer may be compelling. If interested stay tuned, as I'm planning to post something on my initial results with that cell soon. I'd rather not throw the name out there until I'm satisfied with my testing.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks AZ!!
I passed on the EBL batteries although I do like the 2n1 usb cord they have that can charge 2 at the same time from a usb port.

I have used NiteCore before and got good service but bought a supply of RCR's from Elzetta. One day I discovered I no longer had any spares and could not locate my old NiteCore's.

The initial Elzetta purchase was when they were $8 each. The NiteCore's were $10 back when I bought them. I don't need a lot of horsepower from the RCR's I was looking for. Ended up buying some more Elzetta's. What I need is a Malkoff M361w in a 1x123 body to have 3.4 or more volts to keep it in regulation. Max draw is a bit over 1400ma. It starts on low, which is about 80% of its useage.

I look forward to your further input for the 4amp batteries for my PKDL PR-1. It draws like 2.5 so 4 leaves plenty of headroom. 👍

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had some AAA EBLs I bought in 2017. They're holding up pretty well. In a pinch you could use them and they're pretty good for budget, however for quality I would stick with Eneloops.

Poppy

Flashaholic
When I want to know about batteries I check out HKJ site
There's a link in his sig file

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I want to know about batteries I check out HKJ site

Me too. I concur, but with just one caution. Last month I learned, or was reminded of the fact that this information can become dated, and thus currently invalid. It probably shouldn't, but it can.

I was testing some cells which have (ostensibly) been around on the market for some years, and which were tested a handful of years ago (by HKJ as a matter of fact). The cells I was testing are (as far as I can see) visually indistinguishable (in any way) from those previously tested, and are still being sold today with exactly the same product designation(s) and specifications, and apparently in the same wrapper as the ones tested years ago. The results of my testing clearly indicate that it is practically impossible that the cells I'm testing are the same cells under the wrapper which were previously reviewed / tested.

Best practice in the industry is that a product is not changed in FFF (Form / Fit / Function) without a change in the product's identification / designations. Apparently, that was not adhered to in this case. Again, it probably should not happen, but apparently did.

I live in the WWW (Wild Wild West), but it's nothing compared to the 'Wild West' stuff people do on the other side of the world:). Beware.

Galane

Newly Enlightened
I've been using EBL AAA and AA 1.5v Li-Ion, the red ones *without* built in USB charging, in Olight i3E, i3T, i3T Plus, i5T, and i5T Plus lights with good results. Run time has been plenty good enough for my use. I have an i3E on my keychain and use it nearly every day.

They do have to be used with the special EBL chargers and a USB wall charger that has enough milliamps output capability.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the answers. I opted not to buy any of their RCR's but did find some spilt 3' long USB to Micro USB cables for about $2 each at that big river e-store.
If they're that long, I hope they have plenty of copper (gauge) in them. I'm sure you needed them that long though, else you wouldn't have bought them.

I have not used EBL's. However, I am in the market for some 16340 USB rechargeable's. I think I'm going to try the Fenix and the ones that Malkoff sells. I am definitely afraid of the bargain brands.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not used EBL's. However, I am in the market for some 16340 USB rechargeable's. I think I'm going to try the Fenix and the ones that Malkoff sells. I am definitely afraid of the bargain brands.
Just FYI: I've used Fenix 16340s for years, including the current version, the 'LRB-L16-700UP USB' with good results, and can recommend them. They have a continuous output current rating of 3.5C / 2.5A.

I needed something shorter for some of my lights, and preferably with higher max continuous current rating due to some of my higher draw lights, and for some months have tested and been using these (below), which meet both of those requirements, but lack the internal USB charging. So far, I can also recommend these as an option as well, and am using them now due to their shorter length and higher current rating, at the expense of the USB charging. They work well in all my 16340 lights, which is handy. I'm planning to post something when I get time with my results so far, which have been good; however of particular note is that the capacity rating on these cells is incorrect. They in fact deliver ~800 mAh (@1A discharge rate supported by my tester) consistently in testing, not the '650' in the specs and on the wrapper, so their capacity is also quite good.

Note that, quite strangely, cells with the same designation have been around for some years, but clearly the cells under the wrapper have been changed / improved, without a change to their designation (which I find downright bizzarre). You wouldn't go wrong with either of these cells. Here's a link to the ones I've tested and have been using a lot lately in several of my lights:

Last edited:

bridgman

Enlightened
I only have experience with EBL NiMH cells - between C and D (mostly D) I guess I have a dozen or so of them. Bought most of them 7 or 8 years ago and still seem to be working well. I use them with an old AccuPower 4-station (plus 9v) charger.

I would post a picture of them but they are all in flashlights, waiting for the next power outage.

Alaskantinbender

Newly Enlightened
I had some EBL D cells with the charge port built in that (My Fault) shorted out and became very hot for about 12 hours. They did not flash or start fire in a safe place while I monitored them. I guess the thermal protection worked. I was taking apart an old flashlight with the Batteries still inside and the head contacts shorted with a nice hot flash. I won't do that again.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
They must've gotten better. I bought some AA cells from them about 10 years ago. They were labeled as 3000mah. They were super late and only had about 200Mah on a discharge test. Worst battery I've ever had. Three all 30 of them out