EDC for non-flashlight person

entoptics

Enlightened
Haven't been up to speed on lights in the last couple years, as my collection is still giving me all the light and performance I need.

My buddy witnessed my Zebralight SC52 on a recent camping trip, and he's interested in getting something similar. He also saw my wife's O-light i3S, and thought that was pretty impressive too. He hasn't decided which size he wants yet.

Since I'm not up to speed, and he's looking to buy before I can do my own research, can you guys give me a rundown of the latest lights that fall into similar niches? He'd be absolutely stoked to have either light, but I figured I'd make sure there wasn't something newer and "better" out there.

Requirements...

0) Price range must be the same as i3s and Zebralight. Less than $25 for a "keychain", Less than $60 for an AA EDC.

1) He's not picky about interface, as he's got no experience.

2) AA or AAA NiMH (Li-ion compatibility a bonus though, as I might convince him to go that route down the road)

3) He definitely wants moonlight, medium, and heart of the sun modes (relatively speaking). Basically something with similar levels to the i3s if it's small, or Zebralight if it's AA. I don't think he'd want to sacrifice runtime much though, so really hard driven lights are probably not what he's after unless they also have a 1-2 hour mode. ~200 lumens in AA or ~100 in AAA would suit him fine, but if something has the option to blind space aliens, he wouldn't turn it down.

4) Not much bigger than the Zebralight. He felt that size was as big as he'd want to go.

If you think the i3s and/or SC52 are still great options, don't hesitate to say so. He loved them both. I just want to make sure he's getting the "latest/greatest".

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Olight i3s and for the money, it's a nifty little keychain light that should give most people plenty of light, most of the time. I think there's the new i3e which is brighter, but still runs on an AAA.

Comparing the i3s to the SC52, isn't fair, but since you mention it, get him to buy the SC5 NW ZL and get him to buy a quad set of Eneloop XX/Pros, or Fujitsu/Duracell hi cap batteries and a decent charger, like the Xtar VC2 Plus Master USB charger.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger Xtar VC2 Plus Master UK.html

Keep the Olight on the keychain and carry the ZL SC5.

I personally EDC either my EagleTac D25C Ti. clicky, or a Sunwayman V11R, both stoked with li-ion 16340s, but they're another animal entirely.

Chris

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
For a non-flashaholic just getting into it, I'd recommend starting with a keychain light. Eventually they will probably carry both the keychain light and another EDC ("two is one, one is none" and the descent into flashaholicism are pretty compelling reasons).
Keychain lights:
-Thrunite Ti3, $20, nice mode spread (Firefly, about 10 lumens, and about 170 or something based on experienced reviewers' testing). Comes in neutral white to boot.
-Thrunite Ti HI, <$20 due to clearance on the manufacturer website, basically a titanium Ti3 with XP-L HI in cool white. Excellent deal if you don't mind cool white.
-Astrolux A01, $10, High CRI and warm tint combined with myriad colour options low price (quality control is dubious though and isn't as bright)
-Olight i3s is still a solid light
AA lights:
-Zebralight SC5w, even if it is over budget and doesn't support 14500 it is still one of the best lights in the class and I'd be remiss to not mention it
-L3 Illuminations L10 or L11C with Nichia emitter, around $30 or something, High CRI and small for the class with decent performance
-Eagletac D25A, just a solid light
-Olight S15R or the upcoming S1A, the S15R is becoming harder to find but is a nice kit with battery and charging dock, S1A is an AA version of the S1
Other lights
-Olight S1, can be had for under $40 on sale or group buy, small size, magnet, sturdy clip, takes CR123A or 16340. Just an honorable mention. :p

As far as charging goes, I'd recommend getting a charger like the Nitecore D2 that can charge NiMH and Li-ion well and some Eneloops (or rebadge thereof).

Hope that helps!

entoptics

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

ChrisGarrett, I didn't mean to imply that the i3s and the SC52 were similar, I just meant that he saw both and was trying to decide between the two. He liked the power of the SC52, but the size and cost of the i3s. My plan is to give him two choices in those niches, and let him decide which way to go for his first light.

Of the suggestions so far, are any of those lights "head and shoulders" past the SC52 or i3s? As I mentioned, I haven't been paying attention lately, and don't know if there's been any serious breakthroughs in the last couple years.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

ChrisGarrett, I didn't mean to imply that the i3s and the SC52 were similar, I just meant that he saw both and was trying to decide between the two. He liked the power of the SC52, but the size and cost of the i3s. My plan is to give him two choices in those niches, and let him decide which way to go for his first light.

Of the suggestions so far, are any of those lights "head and shoulders" past the SC52 or i3s? As I mentioned, I haven't been paying attention lately, and don't know if there's been any serious breakthroughs in the last couple years.

Well, if you go with either, he might want to get into rechargeable batteries like the Eneloops, either in AA, or AAA, so that might be $40 for the charger and a quad of either.

Then you have the lights. The Olight i3s/i3e are small and unobtrusive on a keychain, but they're limited in output.

If he wants a something with more output and a neat user interface, the SC52w, or the SC5w are both worthy, IMO.

I have an SC600 ZL and want to pick up either of the above, just to have another AA based light. The SC52w can run on a 14500 li-ion, so it has that going for it, but the SC5w is meant to be run on a 2500mAh Eneloop, albeit a bit harder.

One light is $22-$24, the other is $60+, so you'll have to let him decide.

Chris

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh man..interesting. I would advise the ZL as well. Finally realizing that ZL is pretty much the shiznit when it comes to small lights that are just as well made and designed as they are for the price..sounds like if he were to actually have the Olight and the ZL in front of him hed likely go ZL.

As for head and shoulders above those lights there is MecArmy 10440 but kinda meh to me. Then there are customs. A couple Eagtacs which are pretty nice but after 16 Eagtacs I am now pretty sold on ZL

My other small lights are just a couple. This one is only 30 bucks 200 lumen Mag XL50. Get a couple packs of new AAA cells and hes set for awhile the light is actually pretty good. Just got an SRT3 1000 years after it was release and actually really like it. Takes any AA or for bigger band 16340's/14500's. Tried mine on a single L91 and was pretty impressed.

Another quad fuell AA its a bit big but Fenix E25UE. Takes 2 alkaline AA's or 2NiMH AA's or 2xL91 AA's and 2x14500's for 1000 lumens out of an easily pocket easy light the size and shape of a mini mag. Of course output changes with cell chemistry but if its AA size it will take 2 and give you 5 good modes and strobe.

In the end ZL is just the little small bomb though...my 2 cnts

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't know about head and shoulders, but different:

For AAA, there is the Ultratac K18. Side switch with good mode spacings: 3/25/110 on Eneloop. On 10440, it's a beast.

The Klarus Mi7 and the Manker E11 have the new emitter XP-L and are very bright AA lights.

Personally I EDC an AAA light and a Zebralight all-in-one angle light. The angle light (H52w) covers both handheld and headlamp needs. The AAA light is a loaner/backup.

Last edited:

Warp

Enlightened
For a non-flashaholic just getting into it, I'd recommend starting with a keychain light. Eventually they will probably carry both the keychain light and another EDC ("two is one, one is none" and the descent into flashaholicism are pretty compelling reasons).
Keychain lights:
-Thrunite Ti3, $20, nice mode spread (Firefly, about 10 lumens, and about 170 or something based on experienced reviewers' testing). Comes in neutral white to boot.

This is where I start.

Over the years I have realized how many people will show interest in something, or seem to pick up an interest, but nothing really takes hold. Something that is really easy to stick to is where I like to start people. A 1xAAA on the keychain is perfect.

And I really like my Ti3, it's been on my keychain for awhile and isn't going anywhere. There are other choices of course, lots of ~$20 single AAA keychain lights from good manufacturers. But that Ti3 is well made and has really well spaced modes with a great low-low.

entoptics

Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions. It sounds like there's not much out there that will serve him better than a ZL sC52 or i3s. I just had a look at the Ti3, and I think it looks every bit as good as the i3s, and it appears to be a bit cheaper and brighter so I'll recommend that to him instead.

EDIT: Looks like the SC52 was replaced by the SC5, which is a heck of a lot brighter, a little bigger, but otherwise similar. I'll recommend that for the "expensive" choice.

Last edited: