Fenix LD30

Sleeves

Newly Enlightened
Being a new member, I figured I'd share this anecdote about my recently purchased Fenix LD30.

Not long ago, I happened across a Fenix LD30 at a a local REI. Being left unsupervised, I made an impulse purchase. Never had any experience with Fenix as a brand prior, so I thought why not. Ended up EDCing it for a bit. Nice size, rides well in the pocket, and runs off 18650, of which I have plenty.

Fast forward a few weeks, and I'm on vacation with the family. I end up dropping the LD30 into about 5 feet of water on the James River. This was relatively close to the Chesapeake Bay, and the water was definitely brackish. Being that it's dark, and I had both young kids with me, I thought to myself "well, there's 80 bucks down the drain" and figured it was gone for good. The next day, same dock, I felt adventurous and waded out to the approximate spot where I think I dropped it. After a few minutes feeling around with my feet, I step on something that feels like it might be it. Lo and behold, I found it. I get back and dry the exterior off throughly. I opened it and tried to see if the battery or internals are wet, and they didn't seem to be. Sure enough, I put it together and it fires up no problem. Battery charges fine, both with micro usb and on a NiteCore D2. Suffice to say, I was and still am pretty impressed. I figured after 16 hours fully submerged in essentially salt water, it would have been toast. Even with the IP68 rating.

Nice addition to the small but quickly growing collection for sure.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Good to hear. I have 9 Fenix lights, and like them all very much. The LD30 has been my main every day pocket carry for the last few years. Has a well designed clip that's perfect for pocket carry or for clipping to a ball cap. Great size, and great spacing of the brightness modes. I use it multiple times every day and usually don't have to charge it for 2 to 3 months. Plus, Fenix has VERY good customer service.

Sleeves

Newly Enlightened
Good to hear. I have 9 Fenix lights, and like them all very much. The LD30 has been my main every day pocket carry for the last few years. Has a well designed clip that's perfect for pocket carry or for clipping to a ball cap. Great size, and great spacing of the brightness modes. I use it multiple times every day and usually don't have to charge it for 2 to 3 months. Plus, Fenix has VERY good customer service.
That's good to know. It's been great to carry so far, and I agree the clip is outstanding.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Being a new member, I figured I'd share this anecdote about my recently purchased Fenix LD30.

Not long ago, I happened across a Fenix LD30 at a a local REI. Being left unsupervised, I made an impulse purchase. Never had any experience with Fenix as a brand prior, so I thought why not. Ended up EDCing it for a bit. Nice size, rides well in the pocket, and runs off 18650, of which I have plenty.

Fast forward a few weeks, and I'm on vacation with the family. I end up dropping the LD30 into about 5 feet of water on the James River. This was relatively close to the Chesapeake Bay, and the water was definitely brackish. Being that it's dark, and I had both young kids with me, I thought to myself "well, there's 80 bucks down the drain" and figured it was gone for good. The next day, same dock, I felt adventurous and waded out to the approximate spot where I think I dropped it. After a few minutes feeling around with my feet, I step on something that feels like it might be it. Lo and behold, I found it. I get back and dry the exterior off throughly. I opened it and tried to see if the battery or internals are wet, and they didn't seem to be. Sure enough, I put it together and it fires up no problem. Battery charges fine, both with micro usb and on a NiteCore D2. Suffice to say, I was and still am pretty impressed. I figured after 16 hours fully submerged in essentially salt water, it would have been toast. Even with the IP68 rating.

Nice addition to the small but quickly growing collection for sure.
Nice story and glad your light survived the dunking. I've been a fan of Fenix for many years and I always have a PD3x series light with me. While I've never dropped it in a river (yet), it's nice to be able to hold it under a running faucet when I need to clean it up without worrying about it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Nice story and glad your light survived the dunking. I've been a fan of Fenix for many years and I always have a PD3x series light with me. While I've never dropped it in a river (yet), it's nice to be able to hold it under a running faucet when I need to clean it up without worrying about it.
Years from now when those o-rings get older and a bit brittle, that's going to be an issue with the running water.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Years from now when those o-rings get older and a bit brittle, that's going to be an issue with the running water.

Very true, but I think cleaning and greasing the o-rings once or twice a year can add to the longevity and keep them from drying out as quickly. I have some Maglites from the 1980s and 90s that still have good pliable rings. I like to use Yamalube waterproof grease that is made for boat trailer wheel bearings, among other things.

Fenix, and I think most manufacturers these days, provides one spare o-ring with a new light.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Very true, but I think cleaning and greasing the o-rings once or twice a year can add to the longevity and keep them from drying out as quickly. I have some Maglites from the 1980s and 90s that still have good pliable rings. I like to use Yamalube waterproof grease that is made for boat trailer wheel bearings, among other things.

Fenix, and I think most manufacturers these days, provides one spare o-ring with a new light.
Yes, I've received spare O-rings and rubber button covers with my Fenix lights. Making a mental note about the Yamalube product also. Thanks.

Last edited: