Fenix TA30 Review + pics/beamshots & why you should seriously consider buying one

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fenix TA30 Review + pics/beamshots & why you should seriously consider buying one

This is my 1st post here. Been lurking for a while, waiting for a chance to offer something constructive.

First, thanks Woodrow. A well-written review is a pleasure to read.

Second, about the lanyard: I tried using insulated #24 wire to loop the lanyard through the mounting hole. No go, even with pliers. Bare #24 worked fine. But since the TA30 only has one hole, the lanyard cord had to loop over the end of the tailcap, and the light wouldn't tailstand. So instead I wrapped a little ring of the insulated wire around the cord loop, tucked it up between the tailcap sidewall and the switchboot (it clears with room to spare), and voila! a working lanyard on a light that will tailstand (only when switched on).

Welcome to CPF! Thanks for posting a way to get the lanyard to work...while still allowing the light to tailstand. I had not attempted to attatch a lanyard yet... but I would not want to loose the lights tailstanding ability. Thanks for the tip!

TodToh

Newly Enlightened
Re: Fenix TA30 Review + pics/beamshots & why you should seriously consider buying one

I use 3xAW123 for a few day with no problem.

jeroen

Newly Enlightened

I have used 2 x AW 17500 1100 mAh protected Li-ion's; no need to remove the plastic wrapping, they fit easily and provide enough power.

I have also inserted 2 x Varta 2500 mAh Ni-Mh AA batteries which fitted but did not provide a high enough voltage to use it on full power.

But the light will work on 2 x AA in case of an emergency.

Grtz,

Jeroen

HKJ

Flashaholic

I have also inserted 2 x Varta 2500 mAh Ni-Mh AA batteries which fitted but did not provide a high enough voltage to use it on full power.

But the light will work on 2 x AA in case of an emergency.

The light needs 4 volt for full output.

BurlyEd

Newly Enlightened

I just received the Ultrafire 17500s. They are too fat.
Next I tried 2 eneloops and 2 alkalines - Modes = low, low, low and low strobe.
Then I tried 2 14500s: All modes work normally.

DreamCrusher

Newly Enlightened

Anyone know if the remote tape switch for the TK series fits the TA30? If not, since this is designed to be mounted on a long arm, and that's what I plan on using it for, does Fenix have a remote tape switch in the works for this light?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

jirik_cz just posted a graph in the Led section where the TA30 ran a little over 3 hours with flat regulation on primaries...and 2 hours with Flat Regulation on 2xAW 17500's. That makes me happy indeed.

I also have noticed that the TA30 does not get as warm to the touch with extended use as some of my other cree lights.

sideshowandy

Newly Enlightened
Re: Fenix TA30 Review & Pila S150's

just bought a TA30 (nice...) and have discovered that it will work quite happily on an old couple of Pila S150's I had lying around.

the diameter of the batteries makes for a snug fit (the inner S150 will need to be extracted with a gentle shake/tap on plam of hand...)

the length of 2 X S150 is greater than 3 x 123 but the spring seems to handle this Ok, tailcap just needs a little more pressure than normal to screw back on

hope this benefits someone out there