Firefoxes FF3/FF4 lens fogging issue

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone. Since I first received my Firefoxes FF3 there has been a persistent lens fogging issue once the light has been running for awhile. I have read that some FF4's suffer from a similar issue, but I have not seen a solution. I have removed the lense of my FF3 carefully and cleaned it well. After drying I reinstalled the lens and screwed the bezel back on.

The issue persists. Is there a solution to this that perhaps involves a different lens? I honestly don't really use my FF3 very much, only for a short session every 4-6 months just to wow myself at its brightness, but this lense problem really bugs me because I know it's blocking OTF lumens. Anyone have any ideas?

BVH

Flashaholic
IIRC, the fogging was due to the silicone on the return wire splice outgassing and/or normal moisture content in the air inside the head. If the fogging permanently clouds/leaves a film on the glass (but you can clean it off manually), then it's probably the silicone issue. If the fogging disappears completely after cool down, then it's the moisture in the air issue. If it's the second, you can try running the light with the lens off until the head is nice and hot to boil off the moisture, heat the lens and bezel with a hair dryer at the same time and then put it back together. I think I remember some members having success with that. Some members may have found a different silicone to use that doesn't outgas. Hopefully, those that had and fixed the issue will chime in.

As an alternate to running the light to get it hot, you could probably use a hair drier to accomplish the same thing just be careful not to damage the LED or other components. Also, do it on a low humidity day.

I've not heard of anyone doing this but...cold air cannot hold moisture as does hot air. So maybe putting the light, lens and bezel in the refrigerator for a long period of time and then assembling them within the refrigerator would work just as well or better. Air conditioning removes moisture from the air so this method makes sense to me.

Last edited:

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
No fridge! Bad idea! Lol
Bvh is right tho, heating the components while open, on a low humidity day should do the trick, if not, try putting a few silica gel packets inside the housing for a while.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will try running it for awhile with the unit open. It is incredibly dry in here though, so I don't understand how it could be humidity.

Scratch that, yea, I just turned it on and the fogging is apparent right away, must be the silicone thing. Wow the beam is burning my arm as it's sitting in my lap while I'm typing this lol!!

It's been on a couple minutes and I noticed the back button is flashing, what is that about? I wonder if I can just get a new lense because I don't know if this is gonna clean off very well, it didn't the first time.

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ampdude,
To add on to the above comments regarding humidity being the culprit:
I sent a light to Zebralight to have a switch replaced, but I also asked them to look at why there was fogging in the lens. Here was their response:
Fogging/condensation usually occur when there is captive moisture inside (the SC62d has a completely sealed head portion) during manufacturing (Shanghai is a humid costal city), AND the temperature outside of the lens gets hot suddenly.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you. I'll probably just try and run it for awhile with the head off regardless of the culprit. But I don't know how I'm going to clean this lense, it seems like residue, not humidity.

Latest posts