Flame Safety Lamps - Anyone Collect Them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PipesterLite

Newly Enlightened
Before there were so many neat battery operated lamps, flashlights, and electronic instrumentation, coal miners used carbide lamps and flame safety lamps in underground mines. Carbide lamps were used so that they could see, and flame safety lamps were used to determine if there was sufficient methane and oxygen in the atmosphere to cause a fire or explosion. These lamps, flashlights, and electrical devices must be approved by the Mine Safety and Health Administration for permissibility or intrinsic safety (i.e., they will not cause an ignition in a methane-air atmosphere).

Besides flashlights, I have a collection of about 15 flame safety lamps of various manufactures and models. I also have a limited amount of supplies for the Kohler and MSA lamps.

With the prevalence of electronic instruments, the use of flame safety lamps is becoming a thing of the past. If you have any, keep them. If you see them, buy them as soon there will not be anymore. Flea markets in coal mining country are often a good source for them. A more modern one should go around $50 and up. Old ones go in the hundreds of dollars.

I just thought that I would see if anyone else, beside me, had an interest in these oldies but goodies!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
WOW, I didn't realize they were going for that much! I'd like to get a basic, inexpensive one myself just to have one! I've seen some on ebay - seen some reproductions, though I'd rather have a real one. Few and very far between in Alaska.

BTW, just saw that you started a thread on the same subject in the "Flashlight Collecting" forum, therefore this would be a "double-post/thread" - so I'll close this one and we can all continue in the other thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.