Flashing Red Light For Horseback Riding At Night

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to go horseback riding at night. Most of the time it is on the equestrian trails in the county park near me. It is crossing the state highway and riding on the gravel road near my farm that concerns me. I have been using an LED vest, but I am finding that they don't last very long. I use a small LED light on my baseball cap, but I need something that can be seen from behind me. A friend of mine suggested a Planet Bike Superflash 65R. Although it is mean for bicycles, I am considering attaching it to the back of my baseball cap.

Anyway, has anybody here used the Planet Bike Superflash 65R? Is it a good light and does it last? Would it hold up to horseback riding at night?

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
My only concern would be about when you're not looking straight ahead, how visible is the light then? Not just side to side but also up and down.

FastTurtle

Newly Enlightened
If Riding at night, get a set of Amazon item https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7NGJWT/?tag=cpf0b6-20 reflective arm/leg bands.

Another item is a Safety vest to help you be seen from the rear. Main point side/front/rear visibility

Another item I'd suggest is a couple of illuminated leashes for dogs in red. Most of them have a flashing mode and should help quite a bit from the sides.

Moderator edit: The [MEDIA] tag didn't seem to work out

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget reflective tack for the horse. Reflective and/or lighted bell boots, turnout halters, even reins and bridles. Get stuff made specifically for horses rather than trying to repurpose dog and cat stuff.

I would avoid flashing lights; properly selected and worn reflective gear and a solid red light should be enough. Flashing lights can add confusion to the scene.