glowrings are out. take THIS !!!

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hey vcal,
I've been searching all weekend without luck...
frown.gif

Are you sure about the model? The only one I could find for that price was this one:

P0290.jpg

Altough also a Tritium light, I really like the MB-Microtec's a lot better, it seems much sturdier IMHO.
rolleyes.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Bart.:
Hey vcal,
I've been searching all weekend without luck...
frown.gif

Are you sure about the model?
Altough also a Tritium light, I really like the MB-Microtec's a lot better, it seems much sturdier IMHO.
rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm not sure about the exact model, but it's definitely not your pictured one, Bart.

I believe it was the SMALL size Micro-tech (there were definitely two sizes) and it said something about being it's output being
adjustable, but that would have to be with a shutter..-like a camera, right?

I know I definitely saw it on this board 2-3 weeks ago. I hit on this guy's link and fantasized about ordering one.
blush.gif

-But then I became fiscally "sensible"..and let it go.
frown.gif
I'm sure other CPF people saw that same link too! I have not done my own search for it yet, but when I get time, I'll give it a try.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Ah, the smaller one is indeed much cheaper (about half the price) but output is also less: According to Roithner's site, the output for the 20 mm one is 3.0 Ci (?) and the 30 mm one is 5.0 Ci.
And yes, output is adjustable via a thumbwheel.

Thanks for looking in to this.
icon14.gif

dilettante

Newly Enlightened
Cool! If/when someone gets one, please post details on where you got it and how you like it.

I was in our very dark basement early the other morning. My eyes were dark adapted and my Glow ring cast enought light to see the texture of the carpet. By putting my hand behind it, I could focus enought light on the floor to see where I was going (in a pinch).

It occurred to me that one of the large Tritium light sources (or several of the smaller ones from some glow-rings) combined with a reflector, would make a nice battery-free emergency light.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hey dilettante,
I know what you mean by Trasers beeing bright!
I can't take one in my bedroom because my spouth feels it is too bright!
bluesigh.gif

I took a purple one on a camping trip in Thailand , and got complains that it was too bright...
rolleyes.gif

LoneRebel

Enlightened
Thanks, I figure if I'm going to get another one I either A. Want one because its significantly brighter than the ice blue. or B. I get another flashlight that has a clip to allow a glow ring attachment.

Both my badboy 500 and LGI are housed in Brinkmans which dont have a hole to attach glow rings
frown.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
No matter what color you get, glowrings are cool!
Green is definately the brightest color around, and purple the least... However, I can see the purple one from 20 feet without problems... (I know I'm not making this easier for you, but, ultimately, you should go with the color that pleases you most)
Altough confusing, I stil hope this helped...

r2

Enlightened
Where can one find glowrings in the states? I noticed a few people from the US posting about them; is there a reliable place to order them?

Thanks,

Russ

dilettante

Newly Enlightened
I got mine from www.frug.co.uk via ebay. If I buy more I'll just order them directly.

I think there are supposed to be import restrictions, but I've found it usually isn't difficult to find a foreign vendor who will ship what you want to the USA. I've also bought some backpacking gear that is not available in the US from Britain and New Zealand . . .

LoneRebel

Enlightened
I have a ice blue traser key ring. How much brighter is the standard green? I heard that purple is the least bright of 'em all.

What do you guys think is the best color to get?

B@rt

Flashaholic
hi LoneRebel,
I'm not sure about the brightness off the ice blue one. I have all colors and I like the purple one best... The green is cool too.
To go with the CPF motto: get them all!
grin.gif

LoneRebel

Enlightened
Bart, what is the relative brightness of the green one compared to the purple one? 2x brighter? Also are you able to read text with the green one?

B@rt

Flashaholic
hmmm, not sure...
The green one is definately brighter, if you really want to, you are able to read with it. (don't expect miracles though...
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif
)

If you want something brighter, check out the torch I've been looking into...But, they are substancially more expensive as glowrings...

Hope this helps,

PeterM

Newly Enlightened
If I recall correctly, there's a brightness chart published on the traser site somewhere and in order of brightness the colors are:
Green
Yellow
Orange
Ice blue
Purple
I think the green is about 2x as bright as purple.
If I don't recall correctly, forget I posted this.