Happy Thanksgiving

scout24

Flashaholic
I remember back in the day when I'd open CPF in the morning on various holidays there would be a banner at the top of the page wishing the membership here "Happy Holiday." So, in that spirit, I'd like to wish all who read this a Happy Thanksgiving. We all have something to be thankful for, as small or grand as it may be. So say a prayer if you're inclined, raise a glass, or take a quiet moment today to reflect on the blessings in your life. To my extended CPF family: My sincere wishes to you all for a blessed day.

Be well.

Greg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
1070CE85-423B-4058-8D21-1D8019B0597F.jpeg

Happy Thanksgiving
Another day to be thankful for.

Some years on thanksgiving I ponder the blessings of the past year. Other years I ponder the memories of years gone past and those no longer on the top side of the grass.

This year my thoughts are on a lot of past and present with no thoughts of the future simply because time unfolds so fast anymore that by the time I ponder the future it has become the past.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Thought about what I'm most thankful for,, it kept coming back to having good well for water & natural gas to my house.
That may sound silly, but those are very taken for granted.

So many things are secondary after that

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Some years on thanksgiving I ponder the blessings of the past year. Other years I ponder the memories of years gone past and those no longer on the top side of the grass.
I was thinking about the folks who raised me and how long they've been gone. I went to google streetview and took a "drive" down my old neighborhood as a kid. It was humbling. My folks lived a tough life and did the best they could with what little they had. I am thankful for the good things they were able to do.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today, my family was preparing for Thanksgiving. My sister was finishing cooking a ham and some side dishes. I was cooking a turkey to feed me for the week. I offered to bring the turkey, but my sister was set on ham. Anyway, at around 12:30, with an hour left to cook the turkey, we had a "public safety" power outage until after 4 p.m. Our family guests showed up to eat in the dark house at 1 p.m. (not dark enough to need lights though). Just long enough for me to use my small aging solar system to run a hydroponics system, and a Milwaukee Top Off inverter to run another different hydroponics system. After our guests left, I started up my small Firman generator to run the refrigerator. Didn't have a generator or cord large enough to salvage the turkey (an electric oven uses a twist lock cord and higher amperage). So no turkey for Thanksgiving because I'll have to throw it out and the power came back on before I got to use my lights much in the dark. I'm glad the power outage didn't last longer though because I didn't have the resources beyond lights to deal with much more. Today I'm thankful for electricity. You don't realize how important it is until a few hours without it costs you a week's worth of food.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Today, my family was preparing for Thanksgiving. My sister was finishing cooking a ham and some side dishes. I was cooking a turkey to feed me for the week. I offered to bring the turkey, but my sister was set on ham. Anyway, at around 12:30, with an hour left to cook the turkey, we had a "public safety" power outage until after 4 p.m. Our family guests showed up to eat in the dark house at 1 p.m. (not dark enough to need lights though). Just long enough for me to use my small aging solar system to run a hydroponics system, and a Milwaukee Top Off inverter to run another different hydroponics system. After our guests left, I started up my small Firman generator to run the refrigerator. Didn't have a generator or cord large enough to salvage the turkey (an electric oven uses a twist lock cord and higher amperage). So no turkey for Thanksgiving because I'll have to throw it out and the power came back on before I got to use my lights much in the dark. I'm glad the power outage didn't last longer though because I didn't have the resources beyond lights to deal with much more. Today I'm thankful for electricity. You don't realize how important it is until a few hours without it costs you a week's worth of food.
Sorry to hear about your loss. My backup to that situation is a propane fired grill. That would have finished off the turkey.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I remember back in the day when I'd open CPF in the morning on various holidays there would be a banner at the top of the page wishing the membership here "Happy Holiday." So, in that spirit, I'd like to wish all who read this a Happy Thanksgiving. We all have something to be thankful for, as small or grand as it may be. So say a prayer if you're inclined, raise a glass, or take a quiet moment today to reflect on the blessings in your life. To my extended CPF family: My sincere wishes to you all for a blessed day.

Be well.

Greg
Scout24,
Thanks for starting this thread. I considered starting one but couldn't think of anything dramatic enough to say. YOU did good! :)

Personally I was thankful that I had a pleasant day with my children and grandchildren.

After reading through this thread, it made me think of the people in Ukraine. Their loss of power, and heat (supplied as a commodity) must be devastating. I feel badly for them, and am thankful that I am not in their situation. It makes me think that perhaps I should be a better prepper.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear about your loss. My backup to that situation is a propane fired grill. That would have finished off the turkey.
Unfortunately, that was already in use warming up some side dishes and we were almost out of propane. Was tempted to see if I could throw the turkey, in the pan in oven bag, on top of my Biolite Basecamp stove (if it could take the weight), but with hanging out with family, I didn't have time to try it. It was just bad timing with too much to deal with at once.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Unfortunately, that was already in use warming up some side dishes and we were almost out of propane. Was tempted to see if I could throw the turkey, in the pan in oven bag, on top of my Biolite Basecamp stove (if it could take the weight), but with hanging out with family, I didn't have time to try it. It was just bad timing with too much to deal with at once.
Frankly, the least favorite part of the Thanksgiving meal is the turkey. IMO it is all about the side dishes. I'm sure that your meal turned out just fine. :)

I only once ran out of propane, but never again. I bought a spare tank, and when I swap it in, I very shortly get the other refilled. Not too long ago I gave my spare tank to my son. Tanks were in short supply and costs were fairly high. I checked on craigslist, and was able to obtain one (full of gas) for about 1/2 of the going price.

I hope your day turns out nicely.

Latest posts