Havis Shield HID Flickering

blacksheepvictor

Newly Enlightened
Hello All.

I've had my Havis Shield 35W HID for several years now but have only used it a handful of times. The last three or four times I've fired it up it runs great for about 5 min then starts to flicker like a strobe light. There's no way I've come close to the 2500 hour life of the bulb. More like 5 hours really. Sadly it's passed its two year warranty. Any ideas what would cause the strobe effect?

Thanks

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it's just another part like the bulb. Do you know whether it is Welch Allyn, Brightstar, etc?

blacksheepvictor

Newly Enlightened
I have no idea. Here's the link to Havis's product page. Figures Havis doesn't even sell it anymore.

I guess this place is selling it now. Should I just take it apart and see whats inside?

blacksheepvictor

Newly Enlightened
Well I took it apart and I'm sad to say the ballast is incased in some type of resin, so there's no replacing that. If its not the bulb I guess I'm screwed. Any recommendation on a similar replacement light or should I just buy the same thing. Price range 400-500ish.

photo-1.jpg

IdahoMan

Newly Enlightened
BUMP.

I have a Havis-Shields CD-RH-HID35W HID spotlight. I have had it for years but it has seen maybe only around 5min of run time. I plugged it in tonight in my truck and all it does is flicker for a few secounds and then shut off.

I was under the impression this was supposed to be a good light.

Any ideas of what the problem is?

Thank you.

Sincerely,
IdahoMan

larryk

Enlightened
You could buy a Stanley Model # HID0109 from Home Depot for about $ 70.00. It comes with a 12 cigarette lighter plug. I removed the battery from mine to make it much lighter, and just use the 12 volt plug in my car.