Heat Sinking LED's

µrt

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and I hope I'm posting in the right sub-forum.

I was looking at this post about heat sink solution for the LEDs that I recently acquired.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?5716-Heat-Conductive-Epoxy

I recently bought a bunch of Cool White 1W LEDs. Not sure what the specs are but I used a small ~1400mAh Li-ion battery to drive one of them. The LEDs did not come with a heat-sink and got warm pretty soon. Hence came the search for a solution.

zOtfG9Q.jpg

For a heat sink, I used a coke can and cut a strip of aluminium.

buAGWGW.jpg

I used a small blob of heat sink compound (at the base of the LED) that I had from my overclocking days. I believe any CPU heat sink compound will work here.
M7lPMzD.jpg

Then I placed the LED on the heat sink strip and added a drop of super glue at both ends of LED.

cFw8WA0.jpg

Finally I was able to cool the LED off with an inexpensive solution.

Hope this helps to people looking for similar LED heat sinking solutions.

m.pille.led

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
it looks interesting what you tried out, I have no experience with thoes LEDs,
alltrough I know that the chinese bulbs (mr16,e14/e27) use a very light and small aluminium heat synk ..... Anyways, where I want to get is that to run these led for a long time all you should need is small piece of metal,
for exemple a aluminium strip 2mm thick will get you there depending on the number of leds and space apart, and this is the conservative way.
What are you going to use them for?

µrt

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
it looks interesting what you tried out, I have no experience with thoes LEDs,
alltrough I know that the chinese bulbs (mr16,e14/e27) use a very light and small aluminium heat synk ..... Anyways, where I want to get is that to run these led for a long time all you should need is small piece of metal,
for exemple a aluminium strip 2mm thick will get you there depending on the number of leds and space apart, and this is the conservative way.
What are you going to use them for?

Hi, I just wanted to run these LEDs as an experiment and to study their properties like Vf, power dissipation, etc. I may use them in a custom lantern. While running them in free air, I realized that they heat up pretty good and there is a huge substrate pad underneath them for a reason. Hence this quick and almost free solution. I looked at various posts discussing epoxies, etc. I used whatever I had. I ran this setup for more than an hour and noted that the Al strip worked pretty well dissipating heat from the diode junction.

The aluminium strip from the cans have a (maybe plastic/polymer) lining that prevents electrical conduction.

µrt

Newly Enlightened
I would appreciate if anyone could share a link to the datasheet of these LEDs. I'm sure they are pretty popular.

Thanks.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i use 5 minute jb weld.its cheap and effective.even for mounting altilons on heatsinks for my lamp mods.