Help a Marine find a headlamp for cold weather

Prepped

Enlightened
Hey gents,

So I just got back from a one week field op. I took my S1 Baton with me, because of it's versatility, long runtimes, and light weight. It performed like a champ. The magnetic tail cap came in incredibly handy. We were on the back of some seven ton trucks, and the rear flap was down. I whipped out the S1 and stuck it to the inside of the truck, giving us all plenty of light to use. I found myself putting it in my mouth a lot, however. I rarely had my 8-point cover on to use the pocket clip and attach it to it. I'm back out in this cold weather coming up here, and I need a light weight headlamp (I must stress this, preferably under four ounces MAX), with long runtimes, performs well in cold weather (I know this is more dependent upon the battery than anything), and is rugged as hell.

Thanks a lot guys.

Update: Forget to mention, if it has a red output mode, that'd be even better.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
If you like the size/ form factor of the S1, check out the 4sevens Atom line of lights. Similar size, headlamp kit available, and more than likely more durable than the S1. Great warranty too.

EDIT- Moving this to the headlamp section, the regular posters there are super knowledgeable on the subject... :)

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Prob take a look at Petzl Tac Tikka and similar models. 3oz, white and red LEDs. Also a RGB model with red green and blue in addition to white. Available in camo so no need to cover up bright colors.

Taz80

Enlightened
Surefire Saint Minimus, if you can find one, isn't nearly as bright as other models but its rugged. Other brands to look at are Armytek Tiara C1 warm and zebralight H32fw. Or if you like cool white headlamps take off the warm and the w. They both have good moonlight modes so you don't really need red.

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
I would suggest a Fenix HL55. It weighs in at 1.83 ounces (plus battery weight) and can use the CR123 battery which holds up well in the cold. This unit will accommodate a good selection of battery options. I think that it would be pretty easy to add a magnet to the tail cap if you want to do that.

I Have one coming for the same reasons. It should be here tomorrow.

Bob

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-hl50-led-headlamp/

D6859

Enlightened
Xtar H1 has a red led too. Here's some of my notions.

I really like my Armytek Tiara A1 Pro (v1) also. I could recommend it if you're looking for an 1xAA hedlamp. Both headlamps work with either AA or 14500 in it. I've used Tiara at temperatures down to -10 C (14 F) with Keeppower 14500 in, no problems. You could use lithium primaries if it's colder.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Fenix hp12 is nice as the battery pack can be kept under a hat. It also takes 2 cr123/18650. Or something more light weight the Fenix hl50 is all metal and can take both AA or CR123. It gets some longer run times using cr123 but odds are lithium AA would also work great. The only downside in the cold is it's upside. All metal construction including holder makes it chilly in the cold unless worn over a thin cap.

Last edited:

Prepped

Enlightened
Thanks Headlamp guys. I knew I could count on you. Some good food for thought here. Thank you all very much.

Latest posts