• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Help Identifying HDS Sapphire vs Glass lenses

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
This might be where that "myth" came from (Ref: post #7 above). I guess 'opinions' do vary on this.

Quote: All my HDS lights have the UC glass. Henry as well. The sapphire is more scratch resistant, but also a little more brittle. Sapphire will cut a few lumens, but not anything even worth being concerned about.

Quote Source:
The last batch of sapphire however had the same clarity as the UCL... I posted that somewhere but I'm not going looking for it. Basically they don't decrease lumens.
Yes, Henry and I use the UCL. I would say we have the sapphire in our special metal lights, but we haven't made ours yet. Those parts are sitting in a cigar box with a yellow sticky note on it that says "When you have some spare time."
When we do finally get around to making them... we will put sapphire on them just because... you know... bragging rights.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last batch of sapphire however had the same clarity as the UCL... I posted that somewhere but I'm not going looking for it. Basically they don't decrease lumens.
Yes, Henry and I use the UCL. I would say we have the sapphire in our special metal lights, but we haven't made ours yet. Those parts are sitting in a cigar box with a yellow sticky note on it that says "When you have some spare time."
When we do finally get around to making them... we will put sapphire on them just because... you know... bragging rights.

Roger that, Sir. I believe it was specifically the opinion that the sapphire glass might be slightly more brittle (in bold in my post #20) that KD was taking exception to as being a "myth", so I was apprising him of where that info might have come from (which was essentially quoted by 'flashlight nut' in Post #7 above, which KD was replying to [in his Post #10]). I can't believe I can actually keep up with this after only 1 hour of sleep last night!

The last batch of sapphire however had the same clarity as the UCL... I posted that somewhere but I'm not going looking for it.

Yes, you absolutely did post that, and I have seen that post myself as well (but I'm not going to go looking for it either:)) Clarity / light transmission is not really the issue in question at this moment (although that question was raised by HSA in Post #8).

Now my head hurts!

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can say that I have only broken 1 lens which happed to be a UCL. The bezel of the HDS is designed in such a way that the lens is really protected, so whether or not it is a sapphire or UCL, it won't make a difference as far as breakage goes... a Walther PPK .380 round however IS a bit much for it... the light still worked though, so there is that.

Attachments

• P1017104-2 copy.JPG
    P1017104-2 copy.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 111
  • P1017102 copy.JPG
    P1017102 copy.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 114

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The urban myth as I called it had more to do with the oft repeated mention of how breakable they are out in the rest of the internet and is totally overblown. Mention that they are more brittle and people automatically picture them in pieces, which I felt worth addressing.
10-4 on all of that. I wasn't aware it was overblown out there, but I know most everything is. Any differences between it and Borofloat-based lenses (Borofloat 33, UCL V3, etc.) in terms of impact / physical shock are no doubt very small. The only edge those others might have that might be notable would likely be thermal factors / shock, and those differences may not be significant in most environments either. I've recently worked exposed to serious temperature extremes with my lights, so I need to think about it, but that's a very unusual industrial environment. For most users, the scratch resistance of the sapphire may be the larger consideration as it is with you, except maybe for the price:). However, if one tends to get scratched lenses and it's objectionable, the price may not be bad compared with replacing less scratch-resistant lenses periodically, and the hassle of doing that and also living with somewhat scratched lenses all the time. I can see how the price of the sapphire wouldn't look so bad in that situation!

One thing I don't know if the 'standard' lenses in some of your lights you've compared to are / were Borofloat-based or not. If they aren't, then the advantages of the sapphire over the standard lenses may be even greater than I'm assuming. I think UCL was mentioned, but that may not be Borofloat-based like the UCL V3 I mentioned apparently is. I don't know.

Make no mistake though, these are all good lenses we're talking about. I don't consider any of them 'inferior'. I'm also not an expert!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I've recently worked exposed to serious temperature extremes with my lights, so I need to think about it, but that's a very unusual industrial environment.
During the years I was wearing either a Tag Heuer, Longines, Seiko or Omega, all with sapphire crystals, and outside a very, very lot at temps down to -50 below, only damages suffered were to the steel case and bands on my watches.

For my Ra/HDS lights, I know that I probably had every glass available and never a single breakage no matter the material, but lots of scratches on whatever non-sapphire lenses they had. Early on I didn't think it would matter, due to the excellent protection of the bezel, but eventually I decided that if sapphire was available, that's what I was getting.

I also tried comparing a UCL lens against sapphire and the only way I could tell there was more light was by reading a spec sheet.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
The latest sapphire crystals with golden coating seem to transmit light better than UCL. When I look at the reflection of the sun, diodes or fluorescent lamps in them, the reflection is much less than that of other glasses. That is, more light passes through.
And they scratch, or rather, this beautiful enlightenment scratches. It looks like sapphire is not scratched under enlightenment. It seems that one of the watch companies because of this stopped applying enlightenment to the outside.

Reactions: RPC

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long time ago a smart fellow told me that a sapphire lens was cooler to the touch than a UCL if they were side by side . I actually have compared several over the years and I agree…….
I swear I stopped drinking!

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
Carry your light in the same pocket as your keys and you'll figure out relatively quickly which ones have the sapphire lens and which ones don't ;)