Help! Really Dumb Q - What is Natural stag? And other Q.

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
:shakehead Sorry I'm a total noob!

As title, really dumb and likely obvious but is there anything that needs doing to a knife when I recvive it or to maintain it?

I did order a Spderco Grasshopper but cancled that order, now eyeing up a Spyderco Kiwi 111 Slipit Stag.

My question is what is natural stag (besides something looking cool)

Dose it effect the knife in anyway aka can I still use it in rain etc (I ask this as I have no idea what natural Stag is made from) (I believe its like some kind of antler or horn from a deer or something?)

How do I sharpen these knifes?

Oh and why dose this knife have a hole in it? Not seen that before on knifes. (Only seem it on spydercos.

As I said dumb questions....

Last edited:

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stag is antler material with a brown/Creamy white color with uneven texture variations, one texture being called popcorn due to the surface looking like miniature popcorn. Stag & horn have been used for handle material for millenia. American indians used it for knife handles. The hole in the blade is a spyderco patented opening feature. I possess one of the Spyderco Kiwis with brown bone scales. I am thinking of sending it to Antique Ivorys .com and having some fossilized blue walrus ivory put on in place of the bone scales. Just my opinion but unless you use the kiwi to cut sandpaper it should hold its edge for a long time.You might consider googleing stag to learn more info

Last edited:

dss_777

Enlightened
A sharp knife is safer and more pleasant to use. Any use will dull the blade, and reasonable skill at maintaining the edge will pay off.

However, knife sharpening is a slippery slope. Most basic is a simple sharpening stone or two and some practice. An excellent choice is the "scary sharp" method using different grades of sandpaper on a flat glass or stone plate. A brilliant alternative, epecially for knives or hand tools.

Next is a system like a Spyderco Sharp Maker. Amazon has a Smith's "Field Sharpening System" Sharpmaker clone that's cheaper.

A little skill and a stone or two is a good substitute for expensive systems. Just watch the angle!

FWIW, I don't like/use serrated blades partly because they're harder to maintain.