Help -- Trying to run LED strip light on a battery

LED Lovin

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong and I know the experts here will tell me.

I bought 10MM 2Pin 5050 string lights and I cut a strip into 30" length which is powered by this AC adapter: input 100 to 240V ~1.6A 50/60hz output 12V 6A.

I'd also like to power another 30" length strip using a battery, so I used a battery holder and one of this battery: LiCB A23 12V Alkaline 23A Battery.

It works but it's just a slight glow compared to the strip with the AC adapter attached. What kind of battery set-up should I have used?

Thanks!

23A batteries are designed for very small loads, i.e. 2-10mA typically, maybe 20mA. Under load, the output voltage drops quickly. You could try 8 or 9 AA, or AAA batteries in series. Could also use say 4AA batteries and a boost converter to get 12V.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the LED strip: type of LEDs and number per foot/metre? How much current (or power) does each strip draw from 12v for given length; is it specified or can you measure it?

As mentioned the tiny 23A is 12v but completely inadequate for high-current loads. It's mainly used in remote controls.

Even using AA cells there will be a finite run time depending on the cells (alkaline, NiMH) and current drawn by strip. There will be some variation in brightness as the voltage drops. With a bit more info it should not be hard to estimate.

BTW the 12v/6A power supply is fine but way overkill by the look of it. You could probably get away with something 1/4 the size.

Dave

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I have a similar strip light that came with a battery box that takes IIRC 4AA ; I suppose you can buy the box alone and it will have the correct connector.

LED Lovin

Newly Enlightened
T
What is the LED strip: type of LEDs and number per foot/metre? How much current (or power) does each strip draw from 12v for given length; is it specified or can you measure it?

As mentioned the tiny 23A is 12v but completely inadequate for high-current loads. It's mainly used in remote controls.

Even using AA cells there will be a finite run time depending on the cells (alkaline, NiMH) and current drawn by strip. There will be some variation in brightness as the voltage drops. With a bit more info it should not be hard to estimate.

BTW the 12v/6A power supply is fine but way overkill by the look of it. You could probably get away with something 1/4 the size.

Dave
There are 42 very bright LEDs per 28" I don't have any instruments to measure the current and don't know how to use one of those. When you say I could probably get away with something 1/4 the size, could you give me a perfect example like with an Amazon link?
Thanks!

LED Lovin

Newly Enlightened
I have fundamental misunderstandings regarding Voltage vs Watts vs mAs. I could definitely get an 8 cell AA battery pack and hook it up to experiment.

LED Lovin

Newly Enlightened
I have a similar strip light that came with a battery box that takes IIRC 4AA ; I suppose you can buy the box alone and it will have the correct connector.
I looked for "IIRC 4AA" but couldn't find anything on the internet. Please clarify.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
T

There are 42 very bright LEDs per 28" I don't have any instruments to measure the current and don't know how to use one of those. When you say I could probably get away with something 1/4 the size, could you give me a perfect example like with an Amazon link?
Thanks!
In absence of a spec or your measuring it, can't be sure but you might be able to use a 12v 1.5A wallplug adapter if you have one. They are cheap.

It's very helpful to obtain a digital multi-meter (DMM) which measures voltage and current (you can calculate power from this), and resistance. You can probably get a cheap DMM that will do the job somewhere for $10 or less (better ones can cost way more).

Dave