Holographic Beam Diffuser for Arc LSH-P

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

This is my first mod and although it doesn't really involve any cutting or soldering, I thought it'd be something useful to have. Difficulty rating: Novice.

As you know, the ARC LS lights are really handy little things, but unlike the SureFire lights, there are no accessories for them. One of the accessories I found most useful with my SF 9P was the holographic filter, Beamshaper. This provides a very even, diffuse cone of light free of hotspots and makes it much more useable on up-close work. And, because it's a holographic filter, it has high transmission efficiency compared to opal glass diffusers.

Ok, since the Arc LS bezel is smaller than the smallest SF bezel, none of the SF plug-on Beamshapers will fit snugly. So I bought a SF F04 beam shaper for the E series lights. It's cheap and has a rubberized body so it should serve as a protective bumper as well. This Beamshaper is for 1" diameter bezels. The ARC bezel is about 0.945". Just a hair skinny.

I took some Xpel polyurethane adhesive-backed sheeting and cut small strips to stick to the inside surface of the Beamshaper body. About three layers built up the proper thickness so that the fit was snug but not overly tight. I plugged it onto the front of the bezel and voila! Instant snap-on holographic diffuser.

BTW, the Xpel polyurethane film is a high-toughness sheeting used for invisible protection of automotive surfaces.

This post has been modified to include the actual picture links. Ok, the links don't work so here is the link to the actual album on Sony Imagestation. LSH Mod Album

The images are as follows:

Image 1: Arc bezel with filter next to it
fc6e8d30.jpg

Image 2: Arc bezel with filter plugged on
fc6e8d2e.jpg

Image 3: Beamshot 3" from white cardboard, no filter
fc6e8d2a.jpg

Image 4: Beamshot 3" from white cardboard, filter
fc6e8d32.jpg

You can see the very pronounced hotspot in the beamshot without the filter. With the filter on, the light cone is much more even. The apparent ring you see at the periphery of the main cone is an artifact of the camera and image squeezing it for upload. In reality, it just appears as one large, smooth blob of light.

So what do you think?

Wilkey

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hey Wilkey,
that looks nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Can you tell me how thick the holographic filter (lens?) is?

I've been using the minimag anti-roll bezel with an opaque filter, but this sounds better... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
TIA,

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bart,

The filter looks to be about 1 mm, give or take. I don't want to try and pop it out of the rubber holder. It looks like it was already crazed to some degree during the initial installation at SF.

BTW, thanks for the pic posting tips but I must be doing something wrong. It doesn't work.

Wilkey

B@rt

Flashaholic
Thanks Wilkey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

About the pics, you are linking to the originals, if you take off the .orig.jpg part off the link, it will work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif