How do you get your drinking water?

sajohnson

Newly Enlightened
I will have to add to my statement. The Japanese make this claim. Due to the removal of all minerals, both good and bad, commercial RO plant water is referred to as dead water (also known as neutral water). It produces water that is neither hazardous nor beneficial as a result. May 3, 2023 I use Real Salt or Pink Salt 1/4 teaspoon per gallon. This is done for the trace minerals beneficial to humans. Many sources claim you should use more. I err on the side of less salt.

On a related note, in my experience, RO is so pure it strips the saliva from your mouth. It is not refreshing. You end up with dry mouth and drinking more doesn't help. Maybe that's not always the case?

I spoke with a tech at Omni Filter about that, and he confirmed that it can be a problem -- he said they periodically test their various filtration systems and none of the employees like the water from Omni's RO system.

There are some very good carbon filters on the market. Except for unusual situations, they are more than adequate.

We use the Pentek P-250A set which is dual standard size filters that go in housings under the sink. They are relatively inexpensive and have very good NSF ratings, but there are probably even better systems on the market. See NSF ratings here:

NSF 53 is the "health effects" testing.

CR tests all styles of water filters as well. Some pitchers and faucet mounted filters do surprisingly well.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Anybody have any experience with DI Filters?

I got about 8 weeks of 0ppm out of a refillable di filter. Final stage runs through an omni-pure carbon filter. Id say the water tastes pretty good.

155ppm in and 1ppm out. Ill probably look at changing the di medium when it gets to 3ppm? Not sure yet, first time messing around with an ro/di system.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i bought my first bottle of bottled water the other day felt like some kind of rich guy!!!!! ladys of the forum i hope this dont make me to iristable lol. btw only bought it becuase i bought a beta fish and on my way home his little bowl he was sold in lost water so i had to add some lol. i guess i should drink the rest .but i dont wanna turn into some fancy yuppy lol

Monocrom

Flashaholic
No worries, Raggie.
Though personally, I use a couple of different sized metal bottles at work. I'd say seriously stay away from Hydro-Flasks as the newer Made in China ones are absolute garbage. But most other brands should be OK. Watch out for very cheap metal water-bottles though. Those sometimes contain lead in their construction. I use two Brita pitchers at home to purify my tap water. Though living in New York City, the tap water is going to be the best in the nation.

Ps at same time I'm once again trying to quit soda pop but I love it so much .
There are ten teaspoons of sugar, or more, in a can of soda.

One 355 ml can of Coca- Cola contains 39 grams of sugar (10 teaspoons). If you think a clear soft drink might be better, remember that a 355 ml can of Mountain Dew contains even more sugar – 47 grams, or over 11 teaspoons!

Would you ever dream of putting ten teaspoons of sugar in your ice tea?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Unfortunately, there's hidden sugar in everything we eat or drink in America. Many other nations too. Can't get away from it unless you have your own farm, grow, raise, or make your own food. Even so-called healthy food like rice.... guess what your body breaks it down into after eating. If you said sugar, congratulations! You win absolutely nothing, but you're right.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any carbs metabolize into sugar, potatoes are the worst, especially cooked sweet potatoes, their glycemic index is higher than of sugar. alcohol turns into sugar too. However dark chocolate 85% and up actually lowers your BSL. A friend of mine is a diabetic, (was perfectly fine until he started taking atorvastatin) no matter what he eats, of how many hours a day he is at a gym, his blood glucose is high. but his doc would not change his meds to a different statins that do not bump blood glucose as much, Same story with my uncle, also became diabetic after he started taking statins,

TPA

Enlightened
Statins CAUSE diabetes in people who don't already have it and amplify it in those who do. My GP has never written a script for a statin in his entire career. Statins also have quite harmful effects on the brain and memory as well.

My father never had an issue with blood sugar or memory until his doctor put him on statins. Then he magically became diabetic within 1 year of taking them...so his doctor took him off of them. I'm kidding. His doctor declared him diabetic and gave him meds to counteract the diabetes! :🤦:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Are them flavor enhancers safe the ones that you open and put in water ? There powder and sugar free they come lie 5 per box orbsomething