How Much Would a 100 Lumen Tritium Lantern Cost, and How Would You Build It?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've wondered this for some time now.

Let's say you wanted an omnidirectional tritium lantern. Even, 360 degree spread of light, and 100 lumens.

1) How much would it cost?

2) How would you go about building it?

I am guessing:

1) At least $2,000.

2) Many little tubes arranged in a row so that no light is lost to the "inside" of a traditional lantern.

I'd love to hear thoughts on how you would create such a beast.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
They get brighter as you increase the pressure, so if you'd be willing to build one that looks like a psychic's crystal ball with glow trapped deep inside, it would then just be a matter of enough surface area in the interior for however much phosphor is needed..

Would be better if we had some solid physical characteristic figures on tritium and the phosphor..

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) How much would it cost?

Your primary cost would be all those trits.

How would you go about building it?

How about you take a heavy piece of plexiglass, bend it into a fat tube, drill long thin holes down the sides, drop strings of trits into each hole, seal the hole with silicone, put a handle on one end?

Or

Take apart an old tritium emergency exit sign, use all those big trits instead of hundreds(?) of little ones.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like fun!

NRC: Hi! We had a report of a massive green glow coming from your basement.

Tritium Lantern Builder: Oh. OH! That green glow.

NRC: Yes, that green glow. Care to explain?

Tritium Lantern Builder: It's my spacecraft. Must have left it idling. Sorry about that. I'll turn down the warp drive.