How to remove star

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Worked great thank you everyone. We'll see how well it works when the sun goes down. It's drawing 1.8A on high with the cell at 4V. It came with a square centering ring but it raised the reflector too high and gave a hole in the middle of the beam. I just reused the factory thin pill sized disk. Hopefully it keeps the star squished tight enough onto the pill.
Should be about 600-700L on high. Has a nice tight beam and a great cct

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I was in a timewarp for a few minutes b\c that would have been the fastest delivery ever from aliexpress.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then I thought you bought a bare LED and a bare star. I had this all wrong.
Glad it all came together.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice emitter. But shows again how unsuited the 6p platform is to led drop ins. I just ran it for 5 mins on high(1.8A) and the light was barely warm. But I could see it flickering/stepping down. I quickly removed the drop in and I could barely hold it it was so hot. There just isn't enough thermal path to the light body/head. I think I will swap this emitter into my s2+ which has the 5k version of the sst-20. I like this one much more

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the existing compound is rubbery, it should be pretty easy to pop off the star and scrape off the residue.

If the existing compound is pretty hard, it's probably an epoxy, and may take quite a bit more to pop off the old star.

Acetone will soften or dissolve some epoxies. It takes quite a while, so don't think you are going to remove the old star with it (unless you have weeks or months to soak), but if there's some hard-to-remove residue left after prying off the old star, it might be helpful. Even for just residue, think overnight soak, not a few minutes. I had some boards with about 1/16 inch of epoxy potting compound on them, and I soaked for days to get it off.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice emitter. But shows again how unsuited the 6p platform is to led drop ins. I just ran it for 5 mins on high(1.8A) and the light was barely warm. But I could see it flickering/stepping down. I quickly removed the drop in and I could barely hold it it was so hot. There just isn't enough thermal path to the light body/head. I think I will swap this emitter into my s2+ which has the 5k version of the sst-20. I like this one much more

Only thing you can do is tightly wrap it in foil creating a snug fit. Reflectors in 6P definitely get hot

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the existing compound is rubbery, it should be pretty easy to pop off the star and scrape off the residue.

If the existing compound is pretty hard, it's probably an epoxy, and may take quite a bit more to pop off the old star.

Acetone will soften or dissolve some epoxies. It takes quite a while, so don't think you are going to remove the old star with it (unless you have weeks or months to soak), but if there's some hard-to-remove residue left after prying off the old star, it might be helpful. Even for just residue, think overnight soak, not a few minutes. I had some boards with about 1/16 inch of epoxy potting compound on them, and I soaked for days to get it off.
It was pretty rubbery. Almost like caulk. I was able to pop the star off and scrape the rest of the bits off. Cleaned with alcohol. Used a small bit of noctua paste