HX Outdoors D-286 ( F1 Copy ) in 5cr15mov

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
I promised myself , if some one put their name to it ? I would test it !
HX Outdoors D-286 5cr15mov ( F1 Copy ) $20 Australian Bananas ........... ( To my door )
Now , people are going to have pre conceived ideas about $20 banana knives . ( Can't blame them for that ) .

3 Edges put to the rope ( Edge Retention Testing ) .
The first edge was a lazy guided 180 grit diamond ( worn out diamond ) edge - Because the factory edge was Fubar !
This edge only returned a 250 slice fail .. ( only ? )

My second edge was a guided 320 grit diamond edge and returned a 350 slice fail .....
350 slices for a $20 banana knife to my door ? Ok , that's actually rather good for the money !

Third edge was my 80 grit edge off the wet stone grinder ( knife sharpener ) .
Now something I have learned , is that the knife wants the edge it wants ! Never mind what the user want's ..
By being a one edge pony , you might be doing your knife a serious dis service ( Maybe = What do I know ? )
Anyways - The 80 grit grind did a 550 fail .. ?????????? Wait , what ? = Yeah , a 550 Fail .
Seriously , that's nothing to sneeze at ! Even for bigger ticket knives !

HRC55/50 - My HRC files = 55HRC bites & 50HRC skates . Not the hardest steel . Butt & it's a huge but ! The knife likes the 80 grit grind !

Sheath is Nylon (?) ...
Where the rubber grip meets the blade is a slight hump ..... Which after several hundred slices of rope became seriously irritating ( Top of the grip )
We are talking about prolonged use and I plan on cutting the hump off and creating a slight ramp down to the blade . ( Maybe ) We will see .
For now the knife has been re ground and put away .

For a budget knife , it's surprisingly good !
Buy a knife ? or take your money to the local take out place ?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Big deciding factor is going to be the exchange rate.
Where I am, I'd rather just buy the Cold Steel version and get a much better blade steel.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not a Cold Steel Copy .. Think Fallkniven F1

$20 Australian to my Door .. = A little over $13 USD ..

Real F1 are north of $150 USD .. Depending on the steel .

Is this copy a value for money knife in it's own right ? ( Think cheap )