I found my Dolphin...

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found my EverReady All-American Dolphin Mark I, it was swimming on the floor near the bed in the guest bedroom. It had gone missing several years ago. Clicked it on, nothing. Opened it up, and it had a 4D cell adapter with *gasp* Duracell alkaleaks! in it. So, I turned it upside down to slide it out...nothing, it was hung up. The cells had slid sideways out of the adapter, and were hanging up on the molded in shoulders of the case. So I reached in with my booger hooks and pushed 'em back into the adapter. Turned it upside down again. Nope, still hung up! Okay, this called for specialized equipment! So I reached over and picked up my miniature samurai sword letter opener, and slid it in and pushed the cells in and eased that rascal out of the case. Hmmm, the cells didn't leak, weren't swelled, but they were out of date, by quite a few years. I won't say how many. :oops::(:sssh: So, I tested them on my old, old imprecise Radio Shack battery checker thingy, and they were still testing in the low green range. Huh. :unsure: Well, that is one for Duracell. (y) But, I learned my lesson, and I won't be using that adapter in that flashlight again. In fact, I'm retiring the Dolphin, it has had a very rough life, and it looks it. Lost its front face guard decades ago, when one of the attaching side clips broke off. One back corner has been cracked, and the front lens has some major scratches. So, it's being retired, and will for the immediate future, join my other incandescents on a fireplace mantel.

Thanks for reading my little story, and I hope you have a brilliant evening. Cheers! 😃

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I found my EverReady All-American Dolphin Mark I, it was swimming on the floor near the bed in the guest bedroom. It had gone missing several years ago. Clicked it on, nothing. Opened it up, and it had a 4D cell adapter with *gasp* Duracell alkaleaks! in it. So, I turned it upside down to slide it out...nothing, it was hung up. The cells had slide sideways out of the adapter, and were hanging up on the molded in shoulders of the case. So I reached in with my booger hooks and pushed 'em back into the adapter. Turned it upside down again. Nope, still hung up! Okay, this called for specialized equipment! So I reached over and picked up my miniature samurai sword letter opener, and slide it in and pushed the cells in and eased that rascal out of the case. Hmmm, the cells didn't leak, weren't swelled, but they were out of date, by quite a few years. I won't say how many. :oops::(:sssh: So, I tested them on my old, old imprecise Radio Shack battery checker thingy, and they were still testing in the low green range. Huh. :unsure: Well, that is one for Duracell. (y) But, I learned my lesson, and I won't be using that adapter in that flashlight again. In fact, I'm retiring the Dolphin, it has had a very rough life, and it looks it. Lost its front face guard decades ago, when one of the attaching side clips broke off. One back corner has been cracked, and the front lens has some major scratches. So, it's being retired, and will for the immediate future, join my other incandescents on a fireplace mantel.

Thanks for reading my little story, and I hope you have a brilliant evening. Cheers! 😃
Congrats on finding it and getting the batteries out without any damage.