Interest Thread; Malkoff M61 New 519A 4500k / 5700k 9080 *Group Buy 2022!*

cerbie

Enlightened
To each their own. On an expensive light like an HDS, warranty is one of the many reasons why I chose to own one among other reasons
I would expect the warranty to be more or less unaffected, outside of the emitter mod itself. The emitter is probably the least prone to failure point on the whole unit. You only need to remove the reflector, too, which is clearly acceptable for a user to do, based on HDS' history of offering different reflectors as accessories, which are still compatible with the current lights. The whole epoxied electronics and heatsinking assembly is untouched.

IANAL, but I'm pretty sure that's even legally the case, in the US (FI, if your switch contacts start messing up, you can't be denied a warranty claim due the LED swap, since it isn't related to the defect), not that I would expect much of a hassle.

You can even send it in for recalibration, after an utter swap, unless things have changed recently.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dedomed Nichia 519a sm573 by Andy Zhu.
d96b1ec6-0391-4341-a805-28b684dc85cd-jpeg.jpg

Congratulations!
4200K w -0.0037 Tint duv cant be bad

so glad the magic smoke did not escape... LOL

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like the S2+ beam, try the S2 (non+). It has a smaller pill and deeper reflector that makes a beam very similar to a Haiku. Nice and tight with no wasted lumens, but still smooth and wide enough for general use.

I orderd one today from Mtnelectronics.
I needed a 14mm driver so figured why not try it out.
That deeper reflector has to be super nice.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dropped a 4500k 519a in this ole AA/14500 host.
I had a 351 4000k, but the output was too green.
I really like using an angle light.
Probably one of my favs I've done

Low-high modes

2E3ACBF7-750F-4863-BD29-E78B27B35794.jpeg

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone still on this?
No. It is your idea, you have to do it, or you should communicate with dotCPF privately, if you want his help.

fwiw, I wrote to Gene Malkoff to ask how much each drop in would cost, he said $47, plus $20 to ship to the group buy organizer. In addition would be the cost of the LEDs, plus the cost of postage to ship to the individual buyers, I estimate that would be about $5 per LED, plus $5 postage within USA. Total cost $58 per drop in, before he group buy organizer fee. If it was 10%, then each dropin would cost $64 each.

International shipping outside USA would cost extra, possibly $13 per drop in making the cost for those dropins $77 each, plus any customs duties and VAT which would be the buyers responsibility upon delivery.

He said they will not dedome, and he requires all the LEDs to be the same color temperature.

He wants 3 extra LEDs in case of any bad dropin modules, and if all are good then the purchase will require paying for a total of 28 dropins. If malkoff has any bad dropins out of the 28, for example 3, then the last 3 buyers would not receive a drop in, they would get a refund.

I will not run the group buy, you will have to find someone else willing to collect all the money keep track of all 28 addresses, order the LEDs and reship to Gene, pay Gene, receive the finished order, and remail all the individual dropins.

So I suggest somebody do a Poll, to determine whether there are at least 28 people that want the same CCT of Domed 519a, and are willing to pay $64 each if in USA, or $77 each if not in USA.

good luck with your group buy ;-)

Last edited:

Latest posts