Interstate Battery Nicad (rebuilds?)

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seen a Magcharger Interstate battery stick for sale some time back and apparently they have one for SL20X too. Are these any good or just rebadged cheap chinese battery packs as we see on Amazon or Ebay?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be interesting to know. Usually Interstate has good stuff, but it normally revolves around their car batteries. I tried to get them to build me a pack for a 9AN years ago and when I came back, they said they couldn't because they couldn't find the right parts for it.

I saw a brand called "Synergy" that supposedly uses quality Japanese cells, so I was considering giving one a go, but I really don't need a spare battery right now.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh, that's weird about the 9AN/B90 because the sub-c cell is still a pretty common standard
Now I remember it was actually for a B90/B92 for a 6R/7Z. They said they couldn't source the raised connector at the top. I thought it was weird. I totally gave up in Surefire NICD's and just use a lithium ion 18650 adapter in my 9N these days.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
We'll never know until we test one, Their car batteries are low end stuff, a lot of them do not last long, some work ok, but it is a lotto with low odds, I would treat anything with that brand with a truck load of salt.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
We'll never know until we test one, Their car batteries are low end stuff, a lot of them do not last long, some work ok, but it is a lotto with low odds, I would treat anything with that brand with a truck load of salt.
With Kastar and Oxwinou I'd feel more confident in Interstate provided they aren't rebadging these brand's batteries.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
They most likely are, i don't think they manufacture 1/2D nicd cells, the question is what brand they use, if tenergy, it is not that bad, it is probably the only somewhat good brand left that makes them, but then tenergy has several factories worldwide, their blue nimh D cells were crap, but their premium and centura series were pretty good. so even with tenergy is it not all that clear, with the rest i would not even take a chance. The only cells that used to come from japan was sanyo cadnica, but they no longer make nicd cells, old stock are probably too old, thou their nicd can sit for many years with no issues, but you never know how long they were stored for, and in what conditions, they don't like to be frozen for a long periods of time, so if they sat at unheated warehouse for years, i would not risk even with good brands.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using Tenergy NiCads successfully in a Streamlight JR. I was sceptical of the brand since they are made in China but if Maglite uses their products they must be ok. The NiCad D's interest me once I figure out how to extend a 6D Mag to 12 D so I can run my Dewalt 14.4 bulbs in it. But that is a topic for another thread sometime in the future.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tired 18v bulb for power tools in a lantern, very disappointing, I would not bother with 14.4 bulb, not sure it will be noticeably brighter than stock 6 cell bulb, its long V shaped filament will negatively affect beam